My New 8x18

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got it this afternoon. I was a little worried about getting it up on the bench myself, as it weights 270lbs, but I managed.

Very little packing grease on it, so it cleaned up quick. I am quite happy with the fit and finish on this thing. To compare this to my little 7x16 wouldn't be fair. They aren't even in the same league.

I have to stop at the auto parts store tomorrow after work and get some grease and a gun so I can fire this thing up this weekend.

Edit: sorry about that. Apparently you can't just drag-and-drop an image. I'll see if i can figure this out...

South Bend 8k.JPG

Wow, that is a pretty lathe!! I would love to see some video on it if you have the time to take some when you are taking some cuts.

Beauty! That's the first new SB I have seen! Looks really nicely finished. And a D1 spindle! That's a fantastic feature. I also didn't know it had hardened ways... How is the speed shifting control?

Bernie

Bernie,

Not sure what you mean by speed shifting? The lathe has two variable speed ranges: 50-250 and 250-2300. You shift ranges by changing a belt.

The bed on this thing is massive for a 8" swing lathe: 6" wide, with very heavy webbing underneath. The bed is a traditional South Bend '3-v' that has been hardened and ground.

I've been told that these lathes are built to SB specs by a Taiwan tool room lathe manufacturer. I don't have it in front of me, but the calibration/alignment booklet I received with the lathe showed 0.03mm in 500mm for headstock parallel to ways. What is that, 1 thou in 20"?

For a 'hobby' lathe that is plenty good enough for me. :D

I am so glad to hear that. And I am glad it is from Taiwan. It really sounds like they are making it to spec. South Bend was purchased a number of times over the years, so it shouldn't shock people quite as much that it is made elsewhere now.

I was asking about the speed control, knob or lever I guess. I didn't know the arrangement, as the site only says "convenient variable speed" control. It is really good that there is a two-step-belt setting, because you would really not get usable low speeds otherwise.
Nice t-slot crosslide, which I think all old SB's like mine are missing (unlike British lathes), and they even have the nice handles!

I bet the carriage feeds are nice and quiet with the belt drive!

Bernie

That's a really spiffy looking lathe. I bet its fun to use...

Say, would you mind telling what brand of magnifying lens that is? I could use one of those for each eyeball...

Ray

I did not want to offend any of the guys in the South Bend forum for posting pics of a 'Asian' lathe there, so I did it here. I see nothing to be ashamed of quality-wise though. My friend with the 9" SB keeps telling me that he'll "take it off my hands" if I don't want it. ;)

The t-sloted crosslide is one of the features I liked about this lathe. I get to move the compound around based on the size work I'm doing without having to move the crosslide too far and causing rigidity issues. And with only 50 rpm bottom end speed wise, if I have to thread to a shoulder I can just reverse the leadscrew and move the compound to the other side. Great for old reflexes... The only 'complaint' I have is that I wish they had put a 5" chuck on it instead of the 4", because now my spindle bore is larger than the chuck's bore. I didn't realize this would be a problem. Oh well, chalk it up to being a newbie.

Anyone want a 4" Bison plain back chuck? I find that I need to buy a bigger model... :)

I don't even see where I will have to 'mod' the lathe to do useful work. There are always enhancements though. Eventually, I will convert it to a e-leadscrew so I can do any thread or pitch without having to change belts.

Ray, if you're serious I can check on the magnifier tonight.

Rule #1. Nobody is forbidden for liking/owning any kind of lathe or equipment here. Old US Iron, Chinese, Taiwan... It's all fair game here. "Hobby-Machinist"... We use what we can get our hands on. If it's old and worn, people here will help you get it back on it's feet again. If it's new and has some imperfections, we help with that too...

The magnifier... Yes, I was serious but, I found it online. No need to trouble yourself. That looks to have a nice size lens on it. I have one with a smaller lens and need another for the shop.

Side Note: I am very, very annoyed because I found one distributor that caters to Medicare patients. They are selling that magnifier for over 450 bucks. Same thing online at different places is running $150-170. When I see abuses like that, I have visions of someone being beaten well past their point of begging for lenience.

Ray

EDIT: If you're serious about getting a 5" Bison, please call Matt using this contact info http://machinetoolonline.com/ and tell him the gang from Hobby-Machinist sent you. Matt is a great guy and he's a top tier Bison distributor. -Don't mention my name or, he'll charge you double (just kidding... he and I are Internet friends).

I did not want to offend any of the guys in the South Bend forum for posting pics of a 'Asian' lathe there, so I did it here. I see nothing to be ashamed of quality-wise though. My friend with the 9" SB keeps telling me that he'll "take it off my hands" if I don't want it. ;)

The t-sloted crosslide is one of the features I liked about this lathe. I get to move the compound around based on the size work I'm doing without having to move the crosslide too far and causing rigidity issues. And with only 50 rpm bottom end speed wise, if I have to thread to a shoulder I can just reverse the leadscrew and move the compound to the other side. Great for old reflexes... The only 'complaint' I have is that I wish they had put a 5" chuck on it instead of the 4", because now my spindle bore is larger than the chuck's bore. I didn't realize this would be a problem. Oh well, chalk it up to being a newbie.

Anyone want a 4" Bison plain back chuck? I find that I need to buy a bigger model... :)

I don't even see where I will have to 'mod' the lathe to do useful work. There are always enhancements though. Eventually, I will convert it to a e-leadscrew so I can do any thread or pitch without having to change belts.

Ray, if you're serious I can check on the magnifier tonight.

"I did not want to offend any of the guys in the South Bend forum for posting pics of a 'Asian' lathe there, so I did it here. I see nothing to be ashamed of quality-wise though. My friend with the 9" SB keeps telling me that he'll "take it off my hands" if I don't want it. ;)"

I think it is a South Bend. I wasn't sure until I saw yours, honestly. But either way, there are plenty of components of your lathe that will fit in discussion there, which is so cool for a new machine!

I would post in this Asian machine forum for motor issues etc, since it is more like these that way. I never even know what forum I am watching, as I usually just watch the main feed coming down.

I look forward to hearing more about your machine as you become familiar!

Bernie

Last edited:
Back