Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Probably not

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Not sure/Decline to answer

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
I have *never* been tempted to go on MySpace (back in the day), Facebook, Instagram for reasons of time management & privacy. I don’t feel like I missed anything.

I have made some YouTube videos, but I stopped pretty soon after somebody commented on how fat I was. I made a video on lacing (or truing) a bicycle wheel & somebody posted the comment “So when is the baby due?” Why would I continue taking my time to make videos if some people are going to be rude? This is an example of one bad apple spoiling the whole barrel.

It seems there are too many people in the world who actively try to find fault with everything... I don't know if it is 'human nature' or if that is just what society has devolved to...

Back around 2001, my father gave me his old car... a 1964 Ford Fairlane 500...

IMG_20150408_170850_556.jpg

I drove it around for several years, until it developed transmission issues. It drew a lot of attention everywhere I went. The most common thing that was said about it was "It's too bad it's a four door"...

I always wanted to reply to that by asking why they couldn't just appreciate it for what it was... but I'd just smile and go on...

-Bear

It seems there are too many people in the world who actively try to find fault with everything... I don't know if it is 'human nature' or if that is just what society has devolved to...

Back around 2001, my father gave me his old car... a 1964 Ford Fairlane 500...

View attachment 451917

I drove it around for several years, until it developed transmission issues. It drew a lot of attention everywhere I went. The most common thing that was said about it was "It's too bad it's a four door"...

I always wanted to reply to that by asking why they couldn't just appreciate it for what it was... but I'd just smile and go on...

-Bear
I had a 63. It was a 2-door but it wouldn't have mattered if it was a 4-door. Good looking car. That was the year they got rid of the fins.
I had to replace my transmission once also. I did it in the middle of the night and went to work the next day. I don't know that I've ever been so tired at work in my entire life.
My roommate borrowed it one day and when he brought it back one of the fins was wrecked. I was too poor to have it fixed so I sold the body to one person and the engine to someone else.

I do miss that car sometimes. It was almost indestructible. I had a lot of times it ran out of water. A lot of times the oil light was on. And a few times it was both.
I seized the engine at least 5 times but after it cooled down it would fire right back up.
So many memories.

I made a video on lacing (or truing) a bicycle wheel & somebody posted the comment “So when is the baby due?” Why would I continue taking my time to make videos if some people are going to be rude? This is an example of one bad apple spoiling the whole barrel.

I guess the proper answer should have been, "I don't know. Yo' mama said she ain't havin' no more of my kids." :cool: But, that's an artifact of from where I grew up.
But, I know what you mean. I quit even turning on my CB back when I was driving a truck. You just couldn't get decent information from anyone, and channel 19 was just chatter, usually of two guys cursing at each other. Most of the SM is glorified CBs (personal broadcast stations for people with nothing to say.)
That said, I have put a few videos online. Even "monetized" them. Last I checked, I'd made a grand total of nineteen cents. I dunno, maybe I should share outside of this group. But, then I have to bone up on my "come back" skills, and ain't nobody got time for that.

I can't even remember to take photos of my projects let alone make a YouTube video.

This site is a very friendly community to hang out with, I've been on a couple of sites in the past where that isn't the case, I don't visit those sites anymore.

I can't even remember to take photos of my projects let alone make a YouTube video.

I have this same problem. When "the fit is upon me", the last thing I am thinking of is taking pictures or video. I have made a few videos for Youtube, I even appear in one or two. Mostly I'm trying to show the detail of what I'm doing, frequently there isn't even narration.

This site is a very friendly community to hang out with, I've been on a couple of sites in the past where that isn't the case, I don't visit those sites anymore.
Agree completely. I regularly recommend this site to newbies who have mistakenly stumbled into PM or are asking for someplace more helpful and tolerant of beginner's questions.

I have this same problem. When "the fit is upon me", the last thing I am thinking of is taking pictures or video. I have made a few videos for Youtube, I even appear in one or two. Mostly I'm trying to show the detail of what I'm doing, frequently there isn't even narration.

Agree completely. I regularly recommend this site to newbies who have mistakenly stumbled into PM or are asking for someplace more helpful and tolerant of beginner's questions.
In my youth I had a real "smart mouth" (my dad's term). Someone stumbled, I probably chuckled. If I was the first one in my lane at a stop light, my assumption was ALWAYS the guy next to me wanted my lane. Somewhat fortunately, I'd always car shopped for fuel economy over 0-60 time, but I still matted the pedal when the light turned green. I had a number of very condescending bosses while working at GM. My "dream" was to see them broken down on the side of the road some rainy day so I could wave as I drove past.

As I aged/matured, it dawned on me that being a "smart mouth" would put me in the position of being waved at by passersby if I was broken down. It isn't a big deal if the guy next to me wants to be in my lane; if we bump into each other we both have to get our cars fixed. If someone stumbles (or is asking for help on something they haven't done before), it doesn't hurt to either A) Say nothing if I don't have anything productive to add, or B) Offer some help. I'll be the first to admit I have a lot to learn on every topic. If I don't have something productive to add (well, maybe the occasional "humorous" comment that's not a putdown to a group or individual), just keep my mouth shut.

Thanks to the monitors of this forum; the rules were made to keep it a productive, friendly site. I recall a few years ago that a member picked up a Mitutoyo height gauge that was metric only. He asked if anyone knew a way to convert it to English. A (now former) member commented that the OP could use a calculator and divide by 25.4 to get English. If the OP couldn't handle simple multiplication/division, he should buy another gauge. That comment was caught by a site monitor(s) and the member was (thankfully) banned from this site.

Long story longer, another member pulled the cover from his Mitutoyo height gauge and posted a picture of the board; there was a labeled position for E/M. The OP pulled the face from his gauge and found he had the same board; it had a different cover without the E/M button. The OP was able to add a switch to do the E/M conversion without a calculator. THAT'S WHAT THIS FORUM IS ALL ABOUT!

1687724841291.png

Part of the problem with social media is it's too easy to make derogatory comments without the threat of getting punched in the nose. Everybody gets to be a tough guy when they're making A-hole comments; there's no chance of being beaten silly in the parking lot. Fortunately, the guys/gals hanging out on this site see the value in trying to help each other out. The negative, condescending comments add nothing.

Bruce

p.s. Found the string:

1687724267165.png

Sometimes, the best way to leave a situation, is alone. I have some things I can add and be helpful with and many things I need to learn or figure out and that is why I am here. I try to live by my grandmothers philosophy, "if you cannot say something nice (constructive) then say nothing", take only pictures leave only foot prints. I really should have stayed out of this one and I'll not argue any further points concerning this. I tend to read much more on this forum that I comments on; and yet I now feel as though I may be commenting way to much.
Best regards, be safe....

I have *never* been tempted to go on MySpace (back in the day), Facebook, Instagram for reasons of time management & privacy. I don’t feel like I missed anything.

I have made some YouTube videos, but I stopped pretty soon after somebody commented on how fat I was. I made a video on lacing (or truing) a bicycle wheel & somebody posted the comment “So when is the baby due?” Why would I continue taking my time to make videos if some people are going to be rude? This is an example of one bad apple spoiling the whole barrel.

I have to wonder if it is the best use of someone’s time to spend the limited time that we have on social media. Our ancestors experienced the real (as opposed to digital) world for about 15,000 generations.
Hi Erik,
The troglodytes are always going to cause problems and try to bring folks down.

The reason you ( and I) make videos is to try to impart knowledge on others.
When we do this, the folks who feel bad for themselves, feel the need to try to bring you to their misery, by undermining your abilities.
Don’t pay them any attention.
As a matter of fact you can have fun with them, knowing that they are stuck in their miserable existence.
Make more videos to express your truth, no matter who likes it.
You have nothing to prove to anyone, especially troglodytes

Back