My First Mill Could Use Some Help Identifying Rf 31?

awesome thanks TomS

gonna put some degreaser in the parts washer today and try to clean up the table and maybe paint the side of it today we'll see how much motivation i get.

for end mill bits do you guys use collets(r8) or get a specific end mill holder for them?

i just grabbed a lot of many sizes n shapes off ebay to get me started.

for end mill bits do you guys use collets(r8) or get a specific end mill holder for them?

i just grabbed a lot of many sizes n shapes off ebay to get me started.

I have both but prefer the collets over the holders. Collets have less tool stick which is more rigid. Holders have there place but you are more likely to have chatter problems especially with larger end mills.

Tom S.

Got the base painted with first coat. There were at least 4 colors on this thing and under that was this bondo looking crap.

Put some paint on the base after a quick sand and grind on the welding boogers from previous owner. But thinking I'm gonna modify the base it has no leveling feet.

20151220_165021.jpg 20151220_165029.jpg

such progress......you only started this thread less than a week ago!
I have a mill that's waiting for that kind of attention, but there's too many projects ahead of it.

Good work!

-brino

Thanks I have put about 12 hours into this project now, want to be proud of it sitting in corner even if it is a round column.

If the guy hadn't had wood dust in his shop and this gum of a mix of oil n grease I wouldn't have tore it apart.

Got the table cleaned up had to let the methonal dry for a day cause i ran out of gas for the torch.

20151224_174059.jpg

Put coat #2 on the base and stand, and drawer
20151224_174035.jpg

and then a coat on the table:
20151227_151105.jpg

Still waiting on the way oil to show up.
and then ill be adding a new front hand wheel, a new front cover, and a new rubber way cover one they show up.

im gonna finish and mount the table before i tear the top apart as i want to mark the column to pin the rack to it.

That's coming along great.
Thanks for the pictures.
-brino

okay question time, cleaning the table i found 3 ball bearings, my best guess is these went in the back side of the oilers for the table. but the parts diagram just says 1/4" oiler and doesn't break it out big enough to see anything am i correct?

the ball bearings were not related to the bearings and races for the ball screws, they are much larger.

Back