My First Mill Could Use Some Help Identifying Rf 31?

motofool33

Registered
Registered
So i am looking for the front panel, and a pulley diagram for speeds.

and also gonna be fixing the broken hand wheels

Things left to do: clean it with something thinking brakeclean to start with

figure out a good way oil and get some fresh oil on it.

paint the base other then silver and get it setup on the base to cut something.

20151214_200238.jpg 20151214_200250.jpg 20151214_200610.jpg Screenshot_2015-12-14-20-08-55.png Screenshot_2015-12-14-20-09-00.png

Get some purple cleaner at the big box lumber store and and a scrub brush, along with some Scotchbrite for the bare metal surfaces and put on some old clothes! Also get some Vactra #2 to oil it down with when you are done.

speed diagram can be found by googling for an operating manual. or i have one somewhere i could forward. a similar Grizzly or Jet would have a front panel most likely.

I cleaned one up which was in far worse shape than this one. Did have the front panel but the plastic placard on it was gone, just blank aluminum. I used the purple stuff and the maroon scotchbrite to good avail. Also used extremely fine steel wool. Places like Woodcraft Supply sell cast iron cleaners in liquid form that are great. Boeshield rust and stain remover and maroon scotchbrite were my handiest tools. Parts and manuals can be had online from Jet, Grizzly and others. The Jet version is the JDM-15 or 16. Have fun and good luck.

Yep! RF30 or 31, Same as I have. Nice little machine but made more for light work.

Hi motofool,

Welcome to the site!
That looks like a stout machine in fairly good condition. Congrats!
As you see above there are many here with experience in that very machine and in machine restore/rebuild in general.

My few suggestions:
-spend the time during clean-up to identify all the oiling locations, often with used machinery some get missed and are then almost invisible under the accumulated crud. Those little ball-type oilers are easy to miss. Hopefully you can find a manual that applies and shows all the oil locations.
-clean up time is also a great time to learn a new machine inside-out; learn what all the controls do, find all the gib adjusters, etc. Again, if you can find a good manual an exploded parts view will help.

I wish all of my trees grew with an outlet on them like that;)...........solar powered and green energy! :grin big:

Have fun and be safe!
-brino

EDIT: one more thing.....if you find something stuck, try a penetrating oil made of 50% Automatic Transmission Fluid and 50% acetone. It's very thin and seep/creeps into every crevice. Like any chemical, don't get it in your eyes!

Last edited:
So got the table off today, lots of nastyness. Pondering if I'm gonna bother with paint after cleaning.

20151216_182209.jpg

Paint is totally optional, unless you are an obsessive clean freak. Then it is everything. Doesn't matter if the machine is broken or out of adjustment, it sure looks great! For others, form follows function. Count me in with the latter. I keep my machines reasonably clean, but only so they are ready to use...

Back