My First Mill Could Use Some Help Identifying Rf 31?

what kind of grease you guys think i should use on the screws?

im thinking about paint cause when i used the air hose to blow off the dust paint was flaking off

Pondering if I'm gonna bother with paint after cleaning.

I say get the crud out and then decide. Once you see all sliding surfaces, feel the bearings, etc. you'll be in a better spot to determine how much dis-assembly is required.
(By the way....that's not so dirty.)
However, as my Dad has told me "Don't make any big project decisions at the end of the day." [when you're tired, dirty and beaten down]. Wait 'til tomorrow.

what kind of grease you guys think i should use on the screws?

None of my machine tools have any grease on them.....I use ISO32 hydraulic oil on all my machines, that's for the sliding ways, turning bearings, feed screws and gears...everything. I get a 19L bucket for about $50 at the local tractor supply place. Sure my machines are all fairly old, low-speed by modern standards, but I believe that the higher speed ones want oil even more than grease.
Some folks will disagree, some buy South Bend A, B,C and "way" oil, I use ISO32 for all that.
Note also that I am not too afraid of being flamed here :cautious: for saying so, this group is not as polarized as some others.

The manual linked to above (post #7) says a "medium consistency machine oil" at four locations shown (poorly) in Fig 1.

Paint is totally optional, unless you are an obsessive clean freak. Then it is everything. Doesn't matter if the machine is broken or out of adjustment, it sure looks great! For others, form follows function. Count me in with the latter. I keep my machines reasonably clean, but only so they are ready to use...

Like Bob I am in the second camp.......my 1916 Cincinnati mill needs to be totally disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.....the trouble is that I'm using it!
It's on the list, as soon as I get another mill that I can use in the mean time, oh and I need a new shop because there's no room in my current 2-car garage shop (man it would be nice to park a vehicle inside)...

-brino

So far grizzly has discontinued the front panel. Talking to enco about getting one.

Need some help finding one of these all the manuals have a different thumb screw for the way/table locks.

This is a M8x1.25 thread.
20151217_171704.jpg 20151217_171714.jpg

I'd replace it with a hex-head or socket-head cap screw for now, and add it to the list of first projects to make once it's running......
-brino

Last edited:
I'll look through my junk/spares and see what I have.

Tom S.

The picture below is what I dug out of my "inventory". All are 8mm x 1.25. The longest with the dog point have 1-3/8" of thread and the dog point is 3/8" long. The medium length have 1-3/8" of thread and the short one's have 9/16" of thread. The wing nut style has 11/16" of thread. All are available for the asking. How many do you need?

Tom S.

Gib Lock Screws.jpg

TomS

just one ill measure it this evening dont remember the threaded length.

Back