My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

Back... turns out this wood lathe was 10 minutes from the house in Ocala... so leaving it here instead of taking it with me to Orlando...

Of course it was pouring when I went to pick it up... wrapped as much as I could with a tarp and headed home... Sprayed some WD-40 followed with a wipe and then some way oil everywhere...

I did not grasp, from the photos, the width of the table. It is not that wide at all... Turns out this was from the grandfather of the seller... I am thinking this lathe is from around the 1960's... will check in the other forum to see if I can decipher the serial number...

IMG_6585.jpeg

IMG_6587.jpeg

IMG_6596.jpeg

IMG_6595.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

IMG_6599.jpeg

IMG_6593.jpeg

Not really sure what to do... I just need a solid base for my 9x20... this wood lathe is a great candidate for me to restore... even if I do not work anything with wood...

Back to normal programming... taking a few work related calls before I head back to Orlando.

Back... turns out this wood lathe was 10 minutes from the house in Ocala... so leaving it here instead of taking it with me to Orlando...

Of course it was pouring when I went to pick it up... wrapped as much as I could with a tarp and headed home... Sprayed some WD-40 followed with a wipe and then some way oil everywhere...

I did not grasp, from the photos, the width of the table. It is not that wide at all... Turns out this was from the grandfather of the seller... I am thinking this lathe is from around the 1960's... will check in the other forum to see if I can decipher the serial number...

View attachment 412701

View attachment 412710

View attachment 412702
View attachment 412706
View attachment 412707
View attachment 412708
View attachment 412709

Not really sure what to do... I just need a solid base for my 9x20... this wood lathe is a great candidate for me to restore... even if I do not work anything with wood...

Back to normal programming... taking a few work related calls before I head back to Orlando.

Serial number puts it as 1946. I'm not seriously hunting for a wood lathe but I've been keeping my eye open for a Delta like that, it would be a nice companion for my 1950s Delta / Homecraft jointer.

I’ve never seen one in person either but pics don’t seem to make them out to be that much different. I understand they are made to a much higher standard so I don’t think the difference could be fully appreciated until used. Looks can be deceiving.

Folks can have their opinions but to auto bag on HF is a mystery to me. If there was something equivalent for the same price I’d buy it. But in the 9x range around here is stuff that’s worn out and because it’s got a tag from the hobbyist American wet dream list is 3x’s the price. What’s funny is when I see a 9x with a different paint job/name tag with that same 3x’s $$$.

I like vintage tools, but I have added quite a few HF and Grizzly metal working tools to my shop. Most have perfectly good bones to improve on and are available at a nice price.

Speaking of improved HF tools, did you make a die grinder / table stand sort of like a die filer? I remember somebody posting one and it looked interesting, but I can't find it now.

I am really thinking of just restoring it and see if I play with it... only paid 175.00 for it... and call me crazy, but love that switch and the vintage looks of it...

I will keep looking for a sturdy workbench for the 9x20... not going to take apart this wood lathe...

I like vintage tools, but I have added quite a few HF and Grizzly metal working tools to my shop. Most have perfectly good bones to improve on and are available at a nice price.

Speaking of improved HF tools, did you make a die grinder / table stand sort of like a die filer? I remember somebody posting one and it looked interesting, but I can't find it now.
If not for HF, I wouldn’t have 1/4 of what I have. Most I picked up used for a fraction of what HF wants. I do so many different things that most things are not used often or heavy. Like with the HF 14” vertical bandsaw it has the same bones as a Delta, all cast iron. Picked it up for $50 and converted it to metal. Love that thing.

Yes, I did make a bench mount for my HF die grinder. As a matter of fact I just got through using it. Don’t ever even use my other die grinder anymore as I like this so much better.

Here’s pics of the die grinder mount and the bench I have for my 9x20. It came up on CL shortly after I got my 9x and has worked out perfect. Lots of ball bearing slide drawers, good length and depth and plenty sturdy.

Attachments

• 3C579210-C9EF-4BBB-A41C-46A5016958C2.jpeg
    3C579210-C9EF-4BBB-A41C-46A5016958C2.jpeg
    488.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 934BDCE5-5DC7-4D5C-9A73-F59C4EDD3CC6.jpeg
    934BDCE5-5DC7-4D5C-9A73-F59C4EDD3CC6.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 101
  • C6EA5560-E625-410C-9E55-8B61523792B6.jpeg
    C6EA5560-E625-410C-9E55-8B61523792B6.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 101
@C-Bag , interesting that you seem to have the same workbench that I currently have… mine is not sturdy at all…

I checked all the bolts to make sure those were all tight… even bolted a panel in the back that helped a little bit…. But the darn thing is still too wobbly…

Oh, and seeing a few modifications you made that I want to copy…

Last edited:
Hmm, sorry to hear that. I dunno what the deal is but mine came solid. It was used so I have no idea what the original owner did. It did have a heavy top too. Maybe a couple welds on the corners might do the trick.

Hmm, sorry to hear that. I dunno what the deal is but mine came solid. It was used so I have no idea what the original owner did. It did have a heavy top too. Maybe a couple welds on the corners might do the trick.
It is a different one… mine does not have ball bearings in the slides…

IMG_6604.jpeg

Also it is made from thin sheet metal… there is no welding this one…

I am searching for a replacement… just need to look for something without any machine attached to it :D :D :grin big:

Last edited:
Also it is made from thin sheet metal… there is no welding this one…
Really, why? I thought that’s what a tig is for.

Mines sheetmetal too, probably 20ga? Dunno. I found a flat file recently and welded legs on it. I suspect it’s about the same ga sheetmetal. I don’t have a tig, just mig welded it with manual pulse. Isn’t stack‘o dimes pretty but the welds are solid. It has got to be the most solid table I’ve ever made. Had a bunch of 10’ sticks of rusty 2 1/2 square tube that looked like 18ga that I made the legs and supports for the flat file. It’s next to the 9x In the pic. It would hold up a lathe no problem but it’s too deep being 40x30. I’m thinking it would make a great table for scraping.

I have a Mig welder… will give it a try.

I have a TIG welder as well, but never got an Argon gas tank for it and have not learned how to use it… so Mig it is. Thanks

Back