My First Lathe - HF 9" x 20"

One thing, you can never have too many drawers. That’s why I put the flat file next to my lathe. And why there’s two mid tool boxes under my RF30. With that tool box you should have just about enough storage :)

One thing, you can never have too many drawers. That’s why I put the flat file next to my lathe. And why there’s two mid tool boxes under my RF30. With that tool box you should have just about enough storage :)
Nope. You will fill it up. Trust me on this. :grin: Mine is full, need another one!

Nope. You will fill it up. Trust me on this. :grin: Mine is full, need another one!
:D So maybe I should reconsider? LOL!

LatheBench.jpeg

Well... this one was less expensive (on sale at the local Lowes... ). Should be here on the 13.

View attachment 412809
EDIT - Changed my mind... wanted to have it today to take advantage that my brother is here and can help with with moving it over... Went with the Harbor Freight unit... I will pick it up after work today...

View attachment 412811

Your need it now paid off this time, the US General are noticeably more solid than the Craftsman chests. Looks like the 44"?

My Sherline lathe and mill live on a pair of USG chests, the lathe on a 44" and the mill a 26". Ideally I'd build a tube steel frame that the tool box fits into, but second choice would be to build a tube steel platform attached to the top of the chest that the lathe can be secured to. Either a steel plate or plywood top on the tubular frame.

My 9x20 sits on a factory sheet metal stand, nothing spectacular but it does the job. I think the USG tool box would be at least as sturdy so long as you give the lathe a solid foundation.

I'm thinking 1-2" tube steel frame secured to the top of the tool chest something like this.

lathe base.jpg

If not for HF, I wouldn’t have 1/4 of what I have. Most I picked up used for a fraction of what HF wants. I do so many different things that most things are not used often or heavy. Like with the HF 14” vertical bandsaw it has the same bones as a Delta, all cast iron. Picked it up for $50 and converted it to metal. Love that thing.

Yes, I did make a bench mount for my HF die grinder. As a matter of fact I just got through using it. Don’t ever even use my other die grinder anymore as I like this so much better.

Here’s pics of the die grinder mount and the bench I have for my 9x20. It came up on CL shortly after I got my 9x and has worked out perfect. Lots of ball bearing slide drawers, good length and depth and plenty sturdy.
I have that pencil sharpener on the left of your lathe bench... A engineering pencil sharpener...

Your need it now paid off this time, the US General are noticeably more solid than the Craftsman chests. Looks like the 44"?

My Sherline lathe and mill live on a pair of USG chests, the lathe on a 44" and the mill a 26". Ideally I'd build a tube steel frame that the tool box fits into, but second choice would be to build a tube steel platform attached to the top of the chest that the lathe can be secured to. Either a steel plate or plywood top on the tubular frame.

My 9x20 sits on a factory sheet metal stand, nothing spectacular but it does the job. I think the USG tool box would be at least as sturdy so long as you give the lathe a solid foundation.

I'm thinking 1-2" tube steel frame secured to the top of the tool chest something like this.

View attachment 412819
The toolbox is the HF US General 44", correct.

But wow! I was planing on doing this today! hahahahahahhaha... I would have to buy all that and build it and then... Wife is looking the other way and I need to sneak all this during the afternoon...

I was just thinking of using a 1.75" thick butcher block and bolting everything down to the toolbox... is this a good alternative??

Butcher block.jpg

:D So maybe I should reconsider? LOL!

View attachment 412818
More drawers... more better.
I like mostly thin drawers.. I find the deep ones too common, and most things are better in thin drawers.. I like that one Jamie.. is that the type that you had to assemble yourself? Keith Rucker has under his bench similar, I looked up the price and said hell no... I could buy one welded for less.

More drawers... more better.
I like mostly thin drawers.. I find the deep ones too common, and most things are better in thin drawers.. I like that one Jamie.. is that the type that you had to assemble yourself? Keith Rucker has under his bench similar, I looked up the price and said hell no... I could buy one welded for less.
Photo found searching… if I am not mistaken, that is a toolbox from Cotsco or SAM’s Club.

I will stay with the 44”

I totally agree. I have seen some teardowns of the US Generals, and they were painted inside and out, Craftsman not, Snap on Not. Kobalt Not.
They were the bigger units, but they were superior to most of them out there. I think the Snap On had them in steel gauge.

Back