My First Gears: You Can Do This!

Thank you for posting Daryl. A few of the threading gears for the Munktell lathe needs to be replaced and now I'm inspired to make them myself. I don't know if I ever will cut gears on the Munktell lathe since it doesn't have a Norton gearbox, but it is disturbing when things are not in good condition.

Nice Job. I too made my first gear 6 months ago. I didn't want to , but the gear I needed would have been a custom job, and the price would have been prohibitive. I decided to make it. I learned a lot about gears , gear profiles and stadards, and gear making, in the process and I wouldn't hesitate to make more given the need. For some gears that are easily available, it's probably not worth the time and effort, given the fairly cheap prices, for off the shelf profiles.The tooling investment required to make a gear can be quite high unless you already have a dividing head and cutters. There is something to be said about the satisfaction and confidence building that such a project provdes.

Marcel

Marcel , would you be kind enough to give the references for the places you visited to get the knowledge about gears, profiles and standards .
I'd like to do a bit of reading up on that area of expertise.

Thanks

Dave

Back