My First Gears: You Can Do This!

Very clean job. Congrats.

Gears have always fascinated me. I have a dividing head and have made several unsuccessful attempts. I guess because I really don't need a gear right now I haven't pursued it. I have been viewing a lot of gearmaking info on the webnet and hope to try again soon. However more pressing jobs and projects keep pushing gears to a back burner.

If you are referring to the silverish aluminum gizmo, that's the mount for a "Trav-a-Dial".
It is a mechanical DRO, I do everything by handwheels and mics.
I'm not suggesting that old school is somehow better.
However, I enjoy the challenge. The bonus is that I practice my math every time I move the handwheel.

Daryl
MN

Oh yea trav- a- dial "its in the parts book" good job Daryl

Thank you, you have inspired me to keep trying. I have tried to make a gear a few times (unsuccessfully), but I think the problem was I was trying some redneck hobbing method shown on you tube by some clever back yard shade tree machinist and it didn't work at all. I even have a few of those little gear cutters like in your photo, just don't know what to do with them. I come to the conclusion I need a dividing head to do it decently. Maybe the dividing plate setup for my rotary table would be a good investment. None the less, I need to learn more about gears and keep trying.

Nice work, Daryl! So what are you up to that you need several of the same size??

I only needed two spur gears. But figured I'd barf up several before I had something workable.
I had two different 10inch dividing heads.
One had a cracked casting with good gears.
The other had a good casting with no internal gears.
Different manufactures (Carrol and Ellis: I believe- no name plates on either) with different diameter internal shafts etc. Because I can't just send stuff to the scrapper....
I made all sorts of bushings and threaded fasteners to make a Frankenstein Dividing Head.
Runs smoothly. Except I needed to relocate the indexing plates to the center of the head so the index plates and crank wouldn't run foul of the mill table.
2.5 center to center.
Almost done!!
Who says a project is to difficult to tackle? I've got a shop full of 1/2 done projects to prove it.

Daryl
MN

they look good
another milestone to add to your can do list
I was doing gears before threads, threads were scary until i got a lathe that turned as slow as I think.
mine were always a bit noisy at first but smoothed right out.
Steve

Surprising how easy it turns out to be once we get over our mental chains. Nice looking gears.

Nice. I working on tooling up to make my first gear. I hope it doesn't take me 10 years but at the rate I'm moving it may.

If anyone is interested I post some progress on g+ if you want to fallow me. Mt King

That "barfing up several before I get one good one" is my shop motto! :)

Thanks for the pictures!

Jim

Back