My First Gears: You Can Do This!

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I post this here with the intention of encouragement.
I started out on this site after watching multiple hours of Tubalcain/Mr Pete videos.
I purchased a 10" Logan hobby lathe (which needed a rebuild before I could turn it on).

With the help of the many people here, and many hours of head scratchin, reading, and slowly working through the math (I struggle with math), this week I achieved a goal that started around twenty years ago.
Making a gear.
If I can do this machinery stuff, then you can as well. If you want it bad enough.
Listen to the many members and moderators here, and dream.
Ask what if??

Lets go make chips! IMG_3456.JPG IMG_3457.JPG IMG_3458.JPG IMG_3459.JPG IMG_3462.JPG

Looking good, whats that ( ? ) left of the yellow stop. Is it held there by a magnet?

Looking good, whats that ( ? ) left of the yellow stop. Is it held there by a magnet?

If you are referring to the silverish aluminum gizmo, that's the mount for a "Trav-a-Dial".
It is a mechanical DRO, I do everything by handwheels and mics.
I'm not suggesting that old school is somehow better.
However, I enjoy the challenge. The bonus is that I practice my math every time I move the handwheel.

Daryl
MN

Nice job! The dro on my mill spoils me then I get out the pad and pencil when I step to the lathe.

Nice Job. I too made my first gear 6 months ago. I didn't want to , but the gear I needed would have been a custom job, and the price would have been prohibitive. I decided to make it. I learned a lot about gears , gear profiles and stadards, and gear making, in the process and I wouldn't hesitate to make more given the need. For some gears that are easily available, it's probably not worth the time and effort, given the fairly cheap prices, for off the shelf profiles.The tooling investment required to make a gear can be quite high unless you already have a dividing head and cutters. There is something to be said about the satisfaction and confidence building that such a project provdes.

Marcel

Very well done. I too have been exploring making gears. You my friend have inspired me more, as I was about to buy them. The cost of the gears would be as much as an Asian dividing head. Thanks for the post

Back