My compressor died today

Both caps are the same. I'll start looking for some.

20210310_150758.jpg

Did you test the voltage across the incoming power wires or to ground?

The caps should have nothing to do with the mag starter. But I don't know why it didn't run when you pushed the mag in. It really sounds like an incoming power problem.

The caps you found look similar enough to work. $30 to me is a low cost thing to try but not guaranteed it is the only thing wrong.

Reasons a motor starter won't pull in:
Motor starter coil burned out.
Overload is tripped (the contactor should pull in once it is reset, if just for a short time if still overloaded)
Wiring problem in the contactor coil circuit.

By pushing in the contactor manually, even with the above problems, the motor should start. That likely means you have a starting capacitor problem or you have a motor that has gone bad.

BTW, a starting capacitor problem can be tied in with the motor's centrifugal switch being stuck. At the end bell of the motor is a switch that opens once the motor spins up. If it is stuck closed it can fry the motor start capacitors. If the switch is stuck open then the starting capacitor is never put into the circuit and the motor won't start to rotate.

Looks like the sart caps have been leaking. I would replace both. disassemble the mag starter and check the contact points. You might be getting voltage reading, but not enough amperage do to burnt points to kick the motor in. Mike

Jim you hit it on the nose.

Checked across and zero. But to ground was 119. Went to the breaker and same thing. Pulled the breaker and the lugs on the breaker box were 236 across, but out of breaker zero. Had another 40 amp breaker next to it, swapped them out and it runs. Breaker must have went bad. Never saw that before.

If everyone thinks I should replace the caps I will. Just need to get the correct ones.

Thank you everyone. You guys saved my bacon today.

If the old caps are leaking, then it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

Troubleshooting 101...

Always check power first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back