My business just got wings

I started a small engine/tool/air compressor repair business back in 2002 in a shop I built on my 2-acre property zoned agricultural/residential at the end of a dirt road in an unincorporated town. Did all the legal things right I thought but somebody complain to the county zoning department. I was issued a stop order and was given 10 days to shut down. 30 days later I was inspected and cleared. I canceled in business license and tax information, and my business no longer existed. SAD!! But most of my customers continued to return and paid cash till I really closed the shop 3 years later due to my wife's health conditions requiring my full time. My wife passed 2019 and I still found enough work to spend 6 to 8 hours a day in the shop to keep me young (81 years old) this month. SO! enjoy your retirement job, and have fun. I enjoyed mine.

You're living what I hope to find myself doing in 12-15 years when I retire. I am hoping to get good enough at machining to be able to turn it into a small side hustle.

But, we are probably getting a digital currency in the near future, so cash will be be gone, and so will be the opportunities to work under the radar.

They’re testing now, so it could be as soon as this year it starts getting implemented. I’ve heard everything from they will close the banks for a week and switch everyone over at the same time to it will start with federal payments and work it’s way through the system over several years by making cash more difficult to get. My crystal ball is pretty hazy, but I am hoping it gets rejected by the population and we can stay with cash.

Interesting.....but if the goal is financial tracking, wouldn't they also have to kill off all the cryptocurrency companies too?
I have never used one, but I hear that's one way to always stay financially untraceable.

So like stubby beer bottles will they have a drop-dead date where all old bills and coins need to be turned in for new shiny electronic credits?

Brian

Last edited:
Years ago, we repaired computer motherboards.

There was an aftermarket mod that ruined the CPU socket. We had a Pace machine so easy for us.

Later, we stated selling other things, and our client (he owned a store that did the mods) reported us to state.

Needed a 10 dollar permit.

So, 4 tasks.

Call your county information center and have a talk to see if you need a permit.

In our case, it was required due to us having possession of customer property, not the work.

Call state tax office and do same.

Get copies of all conversations, request email of whatever policy is stated.

All it takes is some competition to report you.

Last, release of liability.

Create a formal document between the rental yard and yourself with clear language showing limits of liability and warranty terms.

In short, it needs to indicate you ate only sharpening provided materials and NOT doing any type of INSPECTION.

it is the client's responsibility to inspect and certify any and all items for suitable use.

That helps you just in case a bit fails.

Last, your insurance agent.

With the release of liability in hand ( maybe work with them to create it), you can ensure your coverage is still good or modify it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Fly under the radar. Alerting any 'authorities' about your business and asking permission is not worth the trouble it can generate. Where I'm at, I guess businesses are 'supposed' to somehow 'get good' with the county, register or whatever. Never did it, been at it 44 years now. No one has ever mentioned it. I suspect it only a way for the chamber of commerce to sell your business info and then you get spam and junk mail from accountants, banks, or other agencies asking for a hand out. Insurance is important. Protection from liabilities is important. Alerting authorities? Save yourself the trouble.

local governments usually take a dim view of industrial uses on residential properties, usually they take action on them if the neighbors complain, they don't go looking for them.
Be careful, lots of people who can't mind their business and there's always jealousy.

Interesting.....but wouldn't they also have to kill off all the cryptocurrency companies too? I have never used one, but I hear that's one way to always stay financially untraceable.

So like stubby beer bottles will they have a drop-dead date where all old bills and coins need to be turned in for new shiny electronic credits?

Brian
I don’t have any crypto myself, but I think they will eventually kill off crypto if they feel it is competition for the digital dollar. They can track it now, so crypto holders don’t necessarily have the secrecy they think they do. There are differences between different ones, but it sounds like governments have found a way to trace transactions of most if not all of the various coins.

I think the government will do a phased in adaption of the digital dollar, starting with commercial bank transactions and federal benefits. I expect there will be a date when physical money will no longer be made, but I’m in the camp of them taking the longer approach to ensure they get buy in from the public instead of a drop dead date for using our current currency.

But, we are probably getting a digital currency in the near future, so cash will be be gone, and so will be the opportunities to work under the radar.
Sorry, but this is the silliest thing I have read in a long time. The US Dollar will not go anywhere in my lifetime and I have a lot of life left.

I once read that there were more US $100 bills exchanged daily in Russia than in the US.
Of course, that was before all this recent turmoil.

@Janderso , sorry for the side track!
I am very interested to hear about your path to "retirement work".
Brian

Years ago, we repaired computer motherboards.

There was an aftermarket mod that ruined the CPU socket. We had a Pace machine so easy for us.

Later, we stated selling other things, and our client (he owned a store that did the mods) reported us to state.

Needed a 10 dollar permit.

So, 4 tasks.

Call your county information center and have a talk to see if you need a permit.

In our case, it was required due to us having possession of customer property, not the work.

Call state tax office and do same.

Get copies of all conversations, request email of whatever policy is stated.

All it takes is some competition to report you.

Last, release of liability.

Create a formal document between the rental yard and yourself with clear language showing limits of liability and warranty terms.

In short, it needs to indicate you ate only sharpening provided materials and NOT doing any type of INSPECTION.

it is the client's responsibility to inspect and certify any and all items for suitable use.

That helps you just in case a bit fails.

Last, your insurance agent.

With the release of liability in hand ( maybe work with them to create it), you can ensure your coverage is still good or modify it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Just a move to control local competition.

Back