Moving my new ShopFox M1112 lathe

I hope that you don't have the same crappy HF winch with hardly any braking that I do.
Good luck with the move.
We got about 8" of snow here in Central MA.

I

I’d take the tailstock, toolpost, steady rest and chuck off. Not a whole lot of weight but it may knock off a 100 lbs.

I'd remove any handles that stick out as well. Not just weight, but removes some items that could snag and break while moving.

If you don't remove the carriage, do ensure it is securely locked in place, and maybe even tie it down with a strap as extra security. It is surprising how much speed an unlocked carriage can build in a short distance. Or so I've heard... :eek: (thankfully it happened to me with a small lathe and I was able to stop it with my hand before it made a sudden stop against the head stock).

I hope that you don't have the same crappy HF winch with hardly any braking that I do.
Good luck with the move.
We got about 8" of snow here in Central MA.
Actually is is their 1 ton winch, but it's the work gear version which should not rapidly unwind. We got a lot of snow fall but fortunately no snow accumilation.

I have their 2500# ATV winch and I use it with a snatch block. It doesn't hold worth a darn. I thought that worm gears would hold better.
Be careful!

UPDATE:
My neighbor assisted on the winch. All gear was rated for 1 ton and went like a breeze, albeit a slow one.
The lathe is in the house.

Attachments

• 50511B8C-F5DC-4B23-96DF-AABB9F992A2D.jpeg
    50511B8C-F5DC-4B23-96DF-AABB9F992A2D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
That looks EXACTLY like my GRIZZLY G4003G. The instructions that came with my lathe had the lifting strap wrapping around the bottom rod right by the switch. Other guys that followed those instructions ended up with a broken switch. Below is a pic on how I lifted mine to put it on the stand. I put the 2500 lb strap as close to the chuck as I could get it and balanced the CG by moving the carriage and then locking it. Tailstock was left on for balance to offset the weight of the headstock. In the pic that lathe is supported only by the strap. Good luck.

Attachments

• DSC_0255.JPG
    DSC_0255.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 13
Looks like a decent sized hobby lathe :eagerness:

If you've got almost $1700 coming back from the seller you should be able to build a very nice stand with money left over. You could probably even buy a new welder if needed to make it happen....

John

I'm getting lazy in my older days. If you're getting some decent money back from the seller for the bait and switch from the lack of stand, maybe consider a stand for a 4003 from Grizzly? For about $600 it's at your door step. You'd probably paint it to match your Shop Fox. In fact, maybe contact Grizzly and see if they have a stand for the M1112?

Bruce

1618705011247.png

Back