Moving my new ShopFox M1112 lathe

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
After this freak April snow storm passes I am going to attempt moving my new lathe down to my basement machine shop.
What do you all think of my approach?
The lathe is currently bolted into a pallet like structure. (I removed the real pallet.)
My ramp is four 2" x 6" x 8' braced lumber with a 1/2" sheet of plywood screwed in on top.
The ramp is just leaning into rock wall.
I plan to hook up my manual 1 ton worm gear winch to my trucks hitch and then use the winch to slowly lower onto plywood at bottom.
Obviously the tail end of the lathe will be sticking out a bunch before it starts to angle down.
Any thoughts on bad things that may arise?
As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 25F3F2D7-F5FA-4C50-9115-E69075C9EE5D.jpeg
    25F3F2D7-F5FA-4C50-9115-E69075C9EE5D.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 27E13A77-B7B9-4F5F-B78D-BF7A3C5D4674.jpeg
    27E13A77-B7B9-4F5F-B78D-BF7A3C5D4674.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 1F1654C1-2343-4CCB-A149-A03C233CF03F.jpeg
    1F1654C1-2343-4CCB-A149-A03C233CF03F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
Seems like a reasonable plan generally but when the lathe is pivoting on the edge to along with the ramp, it will have a lot of leverage on the winch line. I’d want at least a backup (ratchet strap, etc.) and ideally a backup that is pulling from an angle aligned with the ramp. Do you have by chance a hoist to lift with? If so that could be positioned near the edge to lift the heavy end and control the transition. Also think about how to manage the bottom transition without standing downhill of the lathe. Since that is probably impossible (I imagine some pry bars to help get onto the bottom platform), backup straps are especially important. Please go slowly and make sure the backups are properly set for each increment.

Seems like a reasonable plan generally but when the lathe is pivoting on the edge to along with the ramp, it will have a lot of leverage on the winch line. I’d want at least a backup (ratchet strap, etc.) and ideally a backup that is pulling from an angle aligned with the ramp. Do you have by chance a hoist to lift with? If so that could be positioned near the edge to lift the heavy end and control the transition. Also think about how to manage the bottom transition without standing downhill of the lathe. Since that is probably impossible (I imagine some pry bars to help get onto the bottom platform), backup straps are especially important. Please go slowly and make sure the backups are properly set for each increment.
I have a hoist but nowhere to attched it above the lathe. Will use the hoist once inside the shop. I wished I could have lowered this sideways but there's a granite curb in the way that's in concrete. I know this will be challenging. I don't like the idea of the tail end of the lathe going out and hanging over and then the sudden see-saw effect to lower it onto the ramp. Also, once at the bottom it will be awkward to turn and lower the top gear head end to the bottom platform. I'll use gas pipes to roll the lathe into the basement.

I was thinking of an engine hoist that could provide some vertical lift to the uphill end before hitting the pivot point. A wood frame could accomplish the same thing. Alternatively, a controllable support for the cantilevered downhill end could work. Like a scissor jack to control the transition.

I was thinking of an engine hoist that could provide some vertical lift to the uphill end before hitting the pivot point. A wood frame could accomplish the same thing. Alternatively, a controllable support for the cantilevered downhill end could work. Like a scissor jack to control the transition.
I bought one last summer to move my new G0678 mill. That went down the stairs on a ramp. The engine hoist was a heavy duty one and not a foldable kind so I had to sell it. I bought and sold it for like $150. They're now around $500 on CL.

Attachments

• 1BC70520-FC7E-4D35-8477-D57E96F6255E.jpeg
    1BC70520-FC7E-4D35-8477-D57E96F6255E.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
You may be able to rent a hoist.

As a rock climber, I used a belay device to move my lathe and a robot into my basement shop. One of these with a climbing rated carabiner and some static rope made quick work of the job.

A falling human generates a lot more than 1000lb of load on this, and they're rated well beyond that.

Specifically these are made to hold and easily lower a load on a rope. I always move heavy stuff with a buddy and a backup line in case my lifting or lowering line fails

Not saying this is the right or best way to do it, but it works well for me.

Here was our setup. My buddy was in the pic - so I blanked his face.

Chains into the ceiling joists, 2 belay devices each carrying independent ropes

Untitled.png
Lathe went down a simple ramp. Ropes went through a riser in the basement stairs
1618603221809.png

Interesting. You really took that sucker apart. I'm bringing mine down complete, minus the stand.
Wasn't so much for the weight as I could not get it through the door and narrow landing in one piece. Also it was filthy when I bought it and required a very deep clean.

Back