Mount to concrete block

Tapcons work well in concrete, not so much in block, I would use toggle bolts, with epoxy on the back of your 2x4. Mike

Re: bracket three posts back.

I like this suggestion. My filter has 9/32 holes 3/4" deep here, not tapped. I will try to drill one out to 5/16 and tap 3/8x16 this morning. Now if I drill thru to water, I will be SHOT by SWMBO.

Never tried tapping plastic. I assume just same tools as metal??

EDIT: ARGH took my ratcheting tap handle to the other place. Need to order another. So, got to wait. This was the backup job while waiting for parts on job 1. So, now i will start job 3. Man would things ever go faster if not waiting for stuff.

Last edited:
I like this suggestion. My filter has 9/32 holes 3/4" deep here, not tapped. I will try to drill one out to 5/16 and tap 3/8x16 this morning. Now if I drill thru to water, I will be SHOT by SWMBO.
You don't need to tap them on a plastic head . Just screw the bracket in . :)

You don't need to tap them on a plastic head . Just screw the bracket in . :)

SAY WHAT??? Is there some sort of self tapping machine screw for plastic? Not aware of this at all.

I do not have a bracket, need to fab this up.

Sure ! Any screw will thread itself into plastic . That's what comes in the kits . :encourage:

DA-UM!!!!

You just taught an old dog a new trick! Rare event for this old dog

The plastic prefers a sheet metal or wood screw.

Machine screw will self tap but better to tap it

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

It's already mentioned above, but construction adhesive (they make a landscaping grade for fastening to cement/block) and a block of wood should work. Here's what I did for ours around 5 years ago. In our case, the filter is in a utility room with a wall opposite the outside wall. I cut a 2 x 4 to length which was used to wedge the block of wood to the wall while the adhesive dried.

Looks like I last changed the filter on 3-9-21. Guess what my next POTD is going to be!

Bruce

20220413_161658.jpg
20220413_161707.jpg

I have had to attach a Lot of stuff to concrete in my life. Forget tapcons! They are mostly worthless.
Here is how I do it.
Drill a hole in the concrete. Insert a piece of solid copper wire. Then drive a nail in along side of the wire.
Of course you will need to experiment with wire and nail sizes.
Examples:
For attaching a conduit strap to a block wall I would use a 3/16" drill, a piece of bare 12 ga copper wire and a 2" roofing nail. Use 2 to attach a metal electrical box to the wall.
To nail a 2x4 to a concrete floor I would use a 3/16 bit, a 14 ga wire and a 16 penny nail.
You can not pull them out.
A piece of wire and a nail in much cheaper than a tap con too.
I just did that yesterday. Needed to attach a 5' long treated 2x4 to concrete floor for a short wall.
I drilled for 4 nails - right through the wood into the concrete. If you needed to pry the 2x4 back off you will pull the nail heads through the wood before you will pull the nails out.
Try it you will like it and never go back to tap cons.

project complete.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Back