Mount to concrete block

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Just a happy homeowner project today...

We have a full house water filter. It has to be put on super tight to not leak. years ago, we broke the plastic wrench so i made one out of steel.

Last fall we changed out the 30 year old water heaters for an on demand gas heater. The installers moved the filter to a really flimsy spot. Need to mount the copper pipes to the concrete block wall, somehow. Today i tried using blue concrete anchor screws (see pic 2) to bond a 2x4 to the wall, the 2x4 just pulled right out trying to install the second screw.

Did i use the wrong screw?? Wrong install method? Just ran a 3/16 hammer drill to make a hole in the block and the impact screw driver to run it in.

Could use a better idea here.

wall 1.jpg

wall 2.jpg

Did you match the concrete drill bit to the drill size stated on the box? Usually the drill size is something like 1/32 smaller than the actual anchor size, so I'd expect it to call out a 5/32 bit for a 3/16 anchor.

I *think* so. This is a VERY old box of screws, probably an auction find. there was a piece of paper in the container calling out 3/16 mason bit.

EDIT OD of threads is .238 OD of neck is .190

I see you live in Minnesota. I live in upper Michigan. About the same weather and cold. I would not attach pipes to an outside wall in my house. But I don't like thawing or replacing frozen pipes. Might be just me :)
Aaron in Iron Mountain

Its the support for the fireplace that heats the home. The block gets warm enough to heat the shop

I feel warmer already

1/4" tapcons use a 3/16" bit so you're good there but, they don't hold very well in block. I would use molly bolts to attach a piece of treated lumber and then attach the filter to the wood.

You don’t want to use what you linked. Those are studs that protrude the surface it would hinder your install.
If it’s a one time forget it they have what I’d refer to as a anchor. Drill a hole insert this anchor which has a pin in the center. Once your in place you push the pin which mushrooms the back to anchor to the wall.
Or with tap cons you need the right drill which sounded like you were correct on sizing. But where you drill in the block matters. Center of block your good. Off to the left or right a inch no good. Block are about 1/2-3/4 thick in webbing. You would need to be around the perimeter where it’s solid. Mortar joints worked if filled properly.
You could just use those plastic mollies and you screw in the center.

Back