Morse taper 1 tap follower plans

Mine is only a 9x20 and I’ve done 1/2” tap and bigger but all with armstrong, not under power. I adapted a 10” wheel to be able attach it to the spindle end.

my tap wrench is too big so I need to make handles. it only holds 1/2 it has no back gears and I never use a tap or die under power

You could forgo the bushing and just have the plunger slide with full contact in the bore. The spring could be short enough and stiff enough for this to work. Remember that once a tap has started cutting straight it will guide itself without help.

Or you could use a plunger with an O ring on the end and forego the spring.
The plunger would compress air in the pocket to provide enough pressure on the tap for starting it straight (I hope :))

my tap wrench is too big so I need to make handles. it only holds 1/2 it has no back gears and I never use a tap or die under power
With some thought there need not be any scrap made on purpose. I learn the most just trying to carry out the projects that come along. Usually making or modifying a tool or fixture. If I just do something to do it, it seems like it doesn't stick. But I'm old. Stuff I did when young has really stuck with me.

Back