Morse taper 1 tap follower plans

You are a wonder in this day, and time. I never saw any connection if any, are you related to Braeden? Being young, and being told what to do is a pain in the a$$, but your going to miss it, and you will turn into exactly how your parents are now eventually. :grin: Ask me how I know...

While I really applaud your effort here and don't want to rain on your parade, I'd like to point out why most tap followers I've seen are not like this. Depending on the size of the tap, they can have the dimple or they can be domed. So like my tap follower is reversible. So the body is straight tube with a set screw in the end so you can easily pull the plunger out and reverse it depending on the tap you're using.

You are a wonder in this day, and time. I never saw any connection if any, are you related to Braeden? Being young, and being told what to do is a pain in the a$$, but your going to miss it, and you will turn into exactly how your parents are now eventually. :grin: Ask me how I know...
he is my twin brother. once we swapped seats at school and took the teacher one and a half hours to find out.
While I really applaud your effort here and don't want to rain on your parade, I'd like to point out why most tap followers I've seen are not like this. Depending on the size of the tap, they can have the dimple or they can be domed. So like my tap follower is reversible. So the body is straight tube with a set screw in the end so you can easily pull the plunger out and reverse it depending on the tap you're using.
I want to make the tip threaded so I can change it out as you said.

he is my twin brother. once we swapped seats at school and took the teacher one and a half hours to find out.

I want to make the tip threaded so I can change it out as you said.
I'd probably just make multiple of plunger parts, 1 for each type I need. Those parts are easy enough to make.

I'd probably just make multiple of plunger parts, 1 for each type I need. Those parts are easy enough to make.
my first project was making a tip for an indicator. small parts are easy to make. but 12L14 cost a lot but I don't have to buy it yet. :grin:

The problem I have with the plunger type I have is they are not all that robust. So it flexes. And if you make it thicker so it doesn't flex it can interfere with the tap handle.

Quite a while ago I got this tap head that sounded like a good idea as far as the way it engaged the tap. It has a threaded like vise inside to grab the flats and a tapered clamp that engages the shank of the tap. Great and wonderfully made. But it was set up to go on a tapered adapter like a drill chuck. So was almost impossible to feed properly IMHO. But I had a bar for my die adapter which works great. So I bored out the taper and now it fits on the same 2mt adapter as the die. The only thing left is to make a good handle to grab it with which is ANOTHER project on the list. I would love to attach pic's but this site had decided to block my ipad from being able to log on.

Attachments

• 37DAE97F-6BDA-49AB-8C81-A2A22EF6032E.jpeg
    37DAE97F-6BDA-49AB-8C81-A2A22EF6032E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • AEC52C95-8BAC-4159-BECC-873918D384E0.jpeg
    AEC52C95-8BAC-4159-BECC-873918D384E0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 7FFE4B15-EA28-4323-B428-0F646232B663.jpeg
    7FFE4B15-EA28-4323-B428-0F646232B663.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back