Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

After having and using a 55-degree carbide-insert tool and an HSS RH knife tool for two years, I realized only this week that the tools are basically carbide and HSS versions of the same tool. The 55 degrees of the carbide insert is the same thing as the 35 degree end-cutting-edge angle of the HSS tool. One difference between them is that the carbide-insert tool has a few degrees of negative side-cutting-edge angle.View attachment 420318
Been using a boring bar like the carbide tool on the left for facing tool but would like to grind HSS tool like the one on the right so a 4 view pic would be helpful so I can get the shape right:encourage:

I edited the table of Mikey's lathe tools in my post on the previous page.

I added the brass tool and the round nose tool.
I added the information sources: the post numbers in this thread.

Such an awesome thread with so much information in to about geometry and how they work thanks to Mikey and all the rest of you guys for sharing your knowledge to us newbies. I’m just marking out a RH turning atm but and having to wait to get a 8inch grinder next week. Link for the bench grinder I was looking at https://www.carbatec.co.nz/product/36686-carbatec-200mm-bench-grinder-slow-speed?categoryId=1506
Cheers Johnny

That's a lot of money for a bench grinder. If you need that for other reasons then it should do fine but if you want this tool mainly for tool grinding then a smaller, more reasonably priced belt sander like this one might be a better option. It is only 1/3HP but if you use ceramic belts (available on Amazon) then it will grind HSS just fine. Moreover, you can put a CBN wheel on the other end and that will increase the versatility of the machine.

Good luck and let us know how it's going, okay?

That's a lot of money for a bench grinder. If you need that for other reasons then it should do fine but if you want this tool mainly for tool grinding then a smaller, more reasonably priced belt sander like this one might be a better option. It is only 1/3HP but if you use ceramic belts (available on Amazon) then it will grind HSS just fine. Moreover, you can put a CBN wheel on the other end and that will increase the versatility of the machine.

The one I was looking at Mikey is 350nzd which is $200 us, finding it hard with options down here can get the cheap 6 inch popular brands for nearly the same price but nowhere near the hp

OHH, my mistake ... NZD, not usd. Still, I would still go for the belt sander if I were you.

For the ceramic belts, do you prefer a particular brand - a price:quality thing maybe?

Red Label - proven to work well, available on Amazon. 36 grit cuts fast, 100 grit smooths nicely and then you can hone on diamond stones after that. Works good!

Back