Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Hopefully the people who have sets will see this, and offer to send theirs out. If they need to they can copy them to new key stock to save as reference.

Thanks Travis for the offer but I think we have it covered.

I'm ready for a set, have lots of HSS that needs grinding....

Reactions: Z2V
I have compiled a table of Mikey's lathe tools in this thread. Here it is. Additions and corrections are welcome.
Mikey's lathe tools.png

Note on the knife tool: Mikey states in the post https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/models-for-grinding-hss-lathe-tools.62111/post-514166 "... that due to the conservative rake angles, pointed tip and small nose radius (~1/64”), this tool does not turn well on longer work. It tends to inscribe a spiral pattern in the work surface so don’t use it for general turning unless you enlarge the nose radius."

Additions to the table on 15-Sep-2022: brass tool, round nose tool, and information source: thread post #. To determine the page number that a post is on, divide the post # by 10, and round up. Examples: Post #102 is on page 11; post #420 is on page 42; post #1355 is on page 136.

Last edited:
After having and using a 55-degree carbide-insert tool and an HSS RH knife tool for two years, I realized only this week that the tools are basically carbide and HSS versions of the same tool. The 55 degrees of the carbide insert is the same thing as the 35 degree end-cutting-edge angle of the HSS tool. One difference between them is that the carbide-insert tool has a few degrees of negative side-cutting-edge angle.carbide 55-degree carbide HSS knife tools.jpg

Back