Model making and our machine tools

The 1/4 horse Westinghouse motor that came with the lathe has an interesting pivot bracket.
Heck a guy could center drill each end, turn between centers and make a better pivot affair.
It looks home cast?? I could just as easily remove it but it makes belt adjustment easier.
I'm trying to figure out a quick and easy way to mount the lathe and motor on this bench to try everything out. I have a link belt coming so I don't have to remove the spindle to get a belt on.

Attachments

• m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 26
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 25
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 23
  • m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 21
  • m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 20
  • mount 1.jpg
    mount 1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 26
Why not just bore a hole in two pieces of 2x4 and then cut them in half splitting the hole and mount them to the bench with the pivot tangs running through them. I assume that tension is created by the weight of the motor pulling on the belt. So you need to get it up high enough to take advantage of the weight and create the tension.

You can always improve on the mounting once you have decided to set it up for long term.

Why not just bore a hole in two pieces of 2x4 and then cut them in half
Or a 2X2. I have pallets that are hardwood.
Great interim idea.
I was thinking those conduit clamps would work also.

Or a 2X2. I have pallets that are hardwood.
Great interim idea.
I was thinking those conduit clamps would work also.

The clamps would also work. All you need is to allow for it to tension the belt and for you to lift to move the belt to change speeds and not bind up. You may want to add a little grease to keep it from binding but I think it will do for your tests.

Having the motor weight alone as a belt tensioner is a bad move. Might I suggest a "lag screw" as a stop to keep things from going too far.

I agree, I wasn't planning on hanging it.

Got it mounted on a piece of 3/4 plywoo.
Mounted the motor and did a proper clean up.
I used my precision Norton stones to clean up the high spots/burrs on the cross slide and compound.
The spindle runs smooth, the motor is quiet.
I’ll turn a piece between centers today to see how she works. Lots of cranking the dials or half nut power feed.

Attachments

• FE57AB8D-6308-45EB-A05F-36D5BB6510D9.jpeg
    FE57AB8D-6308-45EB-A05F-36D5BB6510D9.jpeg
    884.5 KB · Views: 23
  • D6A6740A-A292-445C-A451-D02CDA7BDC3D.jpeg
    D6A6740A-A292-445C-A451-D02CDA7BDC3D.jpeg
    963.8 KB · Views: 24
Well that was a bust, had to be done, I guess.
The spindle/bushing has >.006” slop, the cross slide lead screw/nut has over .010” of lateral movement once the cutting tool touches the work.
This chuck is in bad shape Too.

It sure makes me appreciate my Colchester.

I know there is a following of these 70+ year old lathes.
It was worth my time to learn about the lathe but I’m not willing to spend the time to make the upgrades as many have done before me.
Cheers,
Stay healthy.

Attachments

• 0F189360-0FEC-400D-8F27-51166CEFD747.jpeg
    0F189360-0FEC-400D-8F27-51166CEFD747.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Well that was a bust, had to be done, I guess.
The spindle/bushing has >.006” slop, the cross slide lead screw/nut has over .010” of lateral movement once the cutting tool touches the work.
This chuck is in bad shape Too.

It sure makes me appreciate my Colchester.

I know there is a following of these 70+ year old lathes.
It was worth my time to learn about the lathe but I’m not willing to spend the time to make the upgrades as many have done before me.
Cheers,
Stay healthy.

Of course a small lathe is going to pale in comparison to something like your Colchester, but you should know those particular lathes are basically at the bottom end of desirability for small lathes. They were a budget lathe even when new, lathes uk says the "deluxe" version (like yours with the power feed and thread cutting) sold for $32 which was less than 1/2 what the higher end Craftsman branded Atlas 6" sold for ($67.50) at the same time.

Still a neat little lathe, but sounds like yours is a project even to get it just to acceptable.

If I ever find one cheap, I'll probably grab it but mostly because I've developed a bit of an obsession for small lathes. Kind of like Pokemon cards, gotta catch them all. :grin:

Last edited:
Jeff, I'm sorry it was a bust. Maybe you can sell, trade, or give it to someone whom is willing to upgrade it. My 8 year old grandson has lathe just like yours that his dad originally bought for himself. And he's doing pretty good on it. Eventually, he'll be able to work on the big boys. It's like starting a kid with a half or three quarter size violin. They don't sound all that great, but at least their little hands can reach the notes.

Back