Mini Mills-HF or Grizzly or ?

I was going to do the x2 from harbor. Had it ordered and they were jerking me around so I got the wife to let me have some extra funds and went with a g0704 from grizzly. I know for a fact the x2 would have been a let down just because of table size and such. Liking the grizzly for now. Just remember they are light duty hobby machines. I use all snap on and such at work also. Bridge ports and Logan's and such for machine tools. It's hard to come home and not be able to throw a 2" block of stainless on the table.

yes if you can afford it i believe the G0704 would be a little better machine. It is heavier however. Some have mentioned the G0727 which in my mind is a great looking machine but completely different type of operation. for general light work i would rather have the HF mini over the G0727. Then for other types, arbor driven tools, get the G0727.

My first mini-mill a decade ago was a tilt column. Not bad, depending on what you want to do, but my LMS solid column is much more rigid and the belt drive much smoother and quieter. No hi-lo speed changes either. I also wanted the inch leadscrews.

Bill

Thanks for all the help.

I ordered the HF 44991. I know there are better tools out there but I wanted to get started and have some $ left for tooling. The mill has an R8 spindle so most should transfer over to a better machine if and when.

Thanks for all the help.

I ordered the HF 44991. I know there are better tools out there but I wanted to get started and have some $ left for tooling. The mill has an R8 spindle so most should transfer over to a better machine if and when.

Good for you! Pics when you get it!!

Bernie

Thanks for all the help.

nice choice in my humble opinion. give me a PM for details on the mods i mentioned in the past posts.

Got the little mill moved into my cluttered garage. Still have to bolt it down and finish the set up.

20131116_073239.jpg

20131116_073239.jpg

If you have the funds, get the belt drive from LMS, you will not be sorry. I ran mine until I stripped the gears and after putting the belt drive on I wish I would have done it from the start. Quieter, smoother and an all around better feel. Never thought it would make this much difference.

The belt drive is on the list. A member here shared his mods to the mill, air spring and reverse switch. Those will be my first additions. After the holidays a belt drive and a better vise.

Made a chip pan out of alum panels, used on trailers. Made to be removable. Post a pic in a few.

Back