milling machine

Regarding size -- it all depends on what type of machining you are doing. Is this a vertical or horizontal milling machine you're after? The most popular garage machines are vertical milling machines. Usually pre-owned Bridgeports are where you get good prices. Then, back to size matters -- you should get the largest machine that your budget will handle. For example, a Bridgeport with a 42" table -- or if you are not earning a living on this machine, foreign machines like Enco or Jet can also be found at bargain prices. I'm a little concerned about your 100amp box because the machines at our home are run on 220 single phase and many of the used machines for purchase may be set up for 3 phase where you need a phase converter which may be able to operate on your 100 amp service. Hope this is helpful.

Because I don't check this forum every day, if you'd like to contact me directly, my email is daveblood2011@gmail.com.

If it requires 3-phase power, it almost certainly was used in a production shop, so check it carefully.

If it requires 3-phase power, it almost certainly was used in a production shop, so check it carefully.

I dont think 3 phase should be any problem for Mac
He mentioned he has 100 amp service, thats more than enough. Thats the same I have in my home shop. Ive run phase converters, without a problem. I currently run the 240v -3 phase mill on VFD, and my 575v -3 phase Lathe on VFD with a transformer, no issues at all.

Yes, if the machine is 3-phase, it probably did come out of a industrial enviorment.

Paul

Unlike most, I view a machine having a 3PH motor an asset as long as it's under 5HP. The addition of a simple VFD will make any machine a joy to use with the variable speed and reversing capabilities it provides. It also helps thin out potential buyers since so many are scared of it.

wow alot of info, vertical is what i'm looking for, i think horizontal could limit me in what i could do, as far as size the biggest thing i would be milling is lathe gears, small axals, and boring. and rifle stuff and maybe a small engine block, briggs. as far as getting it here i can pickup, i'm in stlouis missouri, mid west and dont mind going a few states each way for a good machine, not going to jump at the first one i see if i have to wait a yr to get a good one i will:biggrin: Mac

Unlike most, I view a machine having a 3PH motor an asset as long as it's under 5HP. The addition of a simple VFD will make any machine a joy to use with the variable speed and reversing capabilities it provides. It also helps thin out potential buyers since so many are scared of it.

I have no problem with a machine being set up for 3-phase. I appreciate the options.
I just mention it as an indicator of the history of a given machine. A single phase machine will usually have lived an easier life than the same model in 3-phase power.

If you think you will be wanting to mill an engine head or block, I'd probably consider the millrite as a (very good) minimum.

Of the two, I like the Rockwell better if your are prepared to de-rust it. I would not be afraid of that, and the rest of the machines *looks* to be in good shape.

The millrite is an unusual version, with the big coolant trough and NMTB taper spindle. This was a production machine, and is probably 3-phse.

I'd be serious about the Rockwell at $1500. If it's close to you where transportation isn't an issue, it may be a good deal at the asking price.
But again, the table will be a bit busy when you plonk a 4-cylinder engine block on it.

Back