milling machine

irishwoodsman

Active User
Registered
OK wife finally said i could get a milling machine, limit 3000.00, i want to try and stay at 2000.00 that gives me a grand to pick it up myself, my biggest question is size, dont need no bohemith one but dont want a bench type either. would like to stay with american made, not putting down foreign made its just a american thing lol, now i have a 100amp box in my garage not all things run at same time, will that be enough or do i need a bigger box. now back to mill what size would be good for a garage, pics would help of members mills, not going to rush into this cause i want to get what i can use not just set there. any help would be great cause what you tell me i take it to heart cause i have no xpertise in this field lol. thanks in advance:biggrin:Mac

The obvious choice (to me anyway) is to look for a used Bridgeport, it meets all of your stated criteria. There are plenty of Asian copies also but you wrote you wanted American.

yes, want to stay with american, i've been looking at bridgeports and they seem to be the best choice, what does a fixed quil mean, i seen one one state over from me a guy has for 1300. the quil had me worried him saying it was fixed

Used BP is the way to go. Check used shops as well. The only problem is that likely the majority coming out of shops is that they are 3phase. Future VFD project!

As the 100 amp panel, as long as you have 220 available, the amp draw for the BP is not a lot. 2hp is less than 10amps. 1 hp = 750watts.

The best thing about the Bridgeport is any part is available to repair them.New or used.

i have 220 the only thing that runs is my air compressor and welder and they get maybe turned on a few times a yr, my lathe is 110, furnace is 110 and i have a small air condition window type 110, its a 3 car garage and i took half of that and walled it for my shop, going to read up on vfd cause i dont know nothing about it lol, weather is beginning to break here in missouri alittle now but this state is so unpredicteble, most of the stuff i do is on 3 wheelers, guns old boat motors,garden tractors, i'm limited on what i can do health wise but my son enjoys helping and learning as we go along. Mac

Back