milling machine

Irish,
You cant be sick man... I got that covered for everybody all together. Really glad you are back on the mend. Heart attacks are scary...Try tp be carefull and dont get overstressed getting everything all set back up. Activity is really good. I try to get up and do something every day if I am up to it. I may not do much, but I try to get out of the chair and walk around a bit or walk out to the shop and tinker out there for a while. We just started getting those good ole 80 degree highs and not too cold in the morning and it has been warming up pretty fast. I am currently serving a Momma enforced week not in the shop. She doesnt want me to get anything in my eyes while they are still healing. So all my projects just got backed up at least a week.. Glad to hear every thing else is coming back together too.

Bob

i here ya bob glad to here you are doing better, i'm not doing a whole lot kinda like you just tinkering here and there, just waiting for that 70 degree weather here, almost time for the garden to be put in its not a real big one but its big enough for my veggies but taken my time and not over doing it, but i am getting that fishing itch begining to get a hankering for a big bowl of fish and hush puppies. glad to here you are getting better and sending prayers for a fast recovery for you. mac

Back to the fixed head: This means there is no quill with a handle like a drill press to go up and down. It is a pain to drill holes with a fixed quill,because you have to crank the knee and table up and down to drill a hole. Not good for wear and tear on the machine,either. Ever have to "peck drill" a hole? Imagine having to crank the table up and down dozens of times to drill a hole. Stay away from a fixed head.

Yes,you can use a drill press to drill the holes,but there are often times when you have work held in the mill vise,and want the holes exactly vertical to the surface you're milling. Much better to be able to leave the work in the mill and drill the holes in situ.

Back to the fixed head: This means there is no quill with a handle like a drill press to go up and down. It is a pain to drill holes with a fixed quill,because you have to crank the knee and table up and down to drill a hole. Not good for wear and tear on the machine,either. Ever have to "peck drill" a hole? Imagine having to crank the table up and down dozens of times to drill a hole. Stay away from a fixed head.

Yes,you can use a drill press to drill the holes,but there are often times when you have work held in the mill vise,and want the holes exactly vertical to the surface you're milling. Much better to be able to leave the work in the mill and drill the holes in situ.
thanks for the info george, i see where your coming from, if i needed to bore out a hole its better that the quil moves instead of cranking the table up. thanks mac:))

Back