Milling machine - Rockwell vs. Clausing vs. import

Good luck on that beautiful Rockwell, keep us updated if you manage to get it:))!

I have to recommend a US Burke Millrite also. Hell of a machine for the money. Mine is a 1967 MVN model I picked up in Detroit. Has the 8X36 table and a swivel and nodding head with a built in riser. Weighs about 1,200 pounds and still cuts as good as I can hold. Nice compact machine. Was easy to move with a engine joist and U-haul trailer.

I would like to add another question here. Why would one stay away from the round ram brideports? Is it because of the heads on them? From my research and looking for a mill, it looks like alot of the smaller mills are round rams also. Just courious.

Thanks,
Chris

Round Column vs. ram with dove tail?
Well If you have to move the head in or out while in the middle of a setup, Which is something that happens quite a bit where I work, (not as likely to happen in a home shop) you would be adding a lot more time to indicate the head back in position with the round column. With the dovetail you would only have to re-establish the Y axis.
On the other hand with a modern Bridgport in order to move the head left or right you have to release the 4 bolts on the front, and they seem to be a weak point, as I've seen them needing to be replaced periodically on the machines at work. It's also a little bit more of a nuisance when tramming the head back in, because when those bolts are loose, they allow the head to nod forward a little, which means you have to go back and forth a few times.
It's also possible that the dovetail version is a little stronger, but I doubt it's anything anyone would notice in a home shop environment.

Round Column vs. ram with dove tail?
Well If you have to move the head in or out while in the middle of a setup, Which is something that happens quite a bit where I work, (not as likely to happen in a home shop) you would be adding a lot more time to indicate the head back in position with the round column. With the dovetail you would only have to re-establish the Y axis.
On the other hand with a modern Bridgport in order to move the head left or right you have to release the 4 bolts on the front, and they seem to be a weak point, as I've seen them needing to be replaced periodically on the machines at work. It's also a little bit more of a nuisance when tramming the head back in, because when those bolts are loose, they allow the head to nod forward a little, which means you have to go back and forth a few times.
It's also possible that the dovetail version is a little stronger, but I doubt it's anything anyone would notice in a home shop environment.

Thank you!!!!!

Chris

"I've ruled out the round column mill drill, because I don't like the hassle of loosing location when moving the head up/down. (Actually I have one that I inherited from my Dad, but it's at my Brother in laws house, and I intend to let him keep it.
That leaves two other choices one from Grizzly or Harbor freight that is essentially a clone of the Clausing, with a moveable knee. since I'm used to a Bridgeport this is the form that seems "right" to me."

I don't like the round columns either.

Too easy to lose settings, you cannot go wrong with a knee mill.

I bought the Griz. 3102...wish I would have bought the bigger model.

At the time, I didn't know I'd be moving later, to a farm with several large barns to create shops.

I like that Rockwell, a lot. If its condition is equal to its appearance, it's a steal.

Go for a Rockwell if you can, they are well built and have a good size work area. MADE IN THE USA!

You can remove a lot of weight very fast to help move into your basement.

It took me 6 months to finally find and buy one, they kept being sold as I found them, a good sign from the market place.

Back