Milling machine - Rockwell vs. Clausing vs. import

...guy wants 2 grand for it, I haven't looked at the actual machine. If I could get him down to 1500 I'd probably load it up.

Prices seem to fly all over the place. A pretty nice looking 8250 sold on eBay last month for $1075 with some tooling, and eBay is not known for cheap deals (check item number 300899302460). OTOH, I recall a Rockwell on eBay that went for almost $5k not too long ago, but it was fully restored by someone with a good reputation. The seller *might* be able to get $2k for the 8250, but I think the overall market for manual mills has actually faded some.

If a machine is really good shape, a $500 premium is not out of line. Of course extra tooling changes the picture as well.

I my opinion, the Asian Clausing cousins are not even close. I owned one (Grizzly) and it did the job, but every time I got inside it, there was always something disappointing. The way surfaces that were in view looked fine, but the bottom of the saddle looked like it was scraped with an ax - maybe three points of contact. Also huge backlash in the spindle fine feed. Very loose splines in the spindle. There's lot on the web about tuning these machines up, but I figured if I was going to put that kind of effort in a reconditioning job, I rather do that on an old American machine. I never did that however because I found the "like new" Enco 100-1525.

One thing I noticed on Rockwell vs Clausing is that the Rockwell has tapered gibs, adjusted with one screw, vs. Clausing's row of gib screws on the table. I suppose you rarely touch them so it's probably a minor point as I've never heard a Clausing owner whine about that. As mentioned before, condition trumps almost everything else when making your choice.

Not sure if you'd be interested but there's a Tree Milling machine that just showed up on Omaha's CL - http://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/3866333522.html

zxzm2-3866333522@sale.craigslist.org[SUP] [?][/SUP] flag [SUP][?][/SUP] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of Posted: 2013-06-12, 12:39PM CDT
[h=2]Tree Milling Machine - $2200 (Omaha)[/h]
I have a Tree milling machine. This is similar to a Bridgeport. This is a 3 phase machine. Table is in good condition. Variable speed head. Includes vice. Email for more details.

thanks!
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Posting ID: 3866333522
Posted: 2013-06-12, 12:39PM CDT
email to a friend

Avoid scams, deal locally! Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram).
Beware cashier checks, money orders, shipping, non-local buyers/sellers. More info

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably going to go smaller rather than larger. Having ruled out a full sized Bridgeport, I will probably go with something that weighs less than a thousand lbs.
I'm fastenated with the Benchmaster, but it seems like they are very rare. No quill might be a little annoying, but you can still spot holes using the knee, and then us a drill press to finish the holes. Which is actually something I do frequently at work when using a bridgeport. It cuts down on a lot of table cranking.

I don't think you can go wrong going a little smaller first. You will probably stay with it anyway- so far, I have with my TM. The table is 6x26 or so.

Are you going to look at that 8520? What condition and accessories?

Bernie

Unfortunately, I'm working this sat. And next week I'm going on a 2 week vacation to WY. (Not complaining about vacation). So everything goes on hold for a few weeks.

Prices seem to fly all over the place. A pretty nice looking 8250 sold on eBay last month for $1075 with some tooling, and eBay is not known for cheap deals (check item number 300899302460). OTOH, I recall a Rockwell on eBay that went for almost $5k not too long ago, but it was fully restored by someone with a good reputation. The seller *might* be able to get $2k for the 8250, but I think the overall market for manual mills has actually faded some.

If a machine is really good shape, a $500 premium is not out of line. Of course extra tooling changes the picture as well.

I my opinion, the Asian Clausing cousins are not even close. I owned one (Grizzly) and it did the job, but every time I got inside it, there was always something disappointing. The way surfaces that were in view looked fine, but the bottom of the saddle looked like it was scraped with an ax - maybe three points of contact. Also huge backlash in the spindle fine feed. Very loose splines in the spindle. There's lot on the web about tuning these machines up, but I figured if I was going to put that kind of effort in a reconditioning job, I rather do that on an old American machine. I never did that however because I found the "like new" Enco 100-1525.

One thing I noticed on Rockwell vs Clausing is that the Rockwell has tapered gibs, adjusted with one screw, vs. Clausing's row of gib screws on the table. I suppose you rarely touch them so it's probably a minor point as I've never heard a Clausing owner whine about that. As mentioned before, condition trumps almost everything else when making your choice.

Hey Lens,

I ended up picking up that 8520 off ebay for 1075, couldnt let it go. I wasn't going to be able to even touch anything asian that was comparable for that price. I was a little nervous getting it sight unseen, but it was delivered in good shape with only some minor surface rust. I'll see once I get it broken down, cleaned up, repainted and rebuilt. My heavy 10 is torn down right now and in line in front of it.

Levi,

My vote is to hold tight for the rockwell or a clausing. I like the benchmasters also, but I think that parts would be harder to come by for them if you run into a problem. If you bide your time you should be able to find old iron significantly cheaper than a new asian mill.
I am jealous of your logan shaper! :drool: hey are beautiful and if I had the space I would love to have one. Even if it was just to turn it on and watch it work. I cant get enough of them!

Here's another one, maybe more of what you had in mind, this was just posted over on PM by jmhoying:

I have a Rockwell 21-100 Mill for sale. The perfect mill for a small garage or basement shop. Weighs about 900 lbs. The mill has had very low use in it's life, as it was in storage for over 25 years. Has a 1 HP, 3-phase motor that runs through a TECO VFD (using 110v). Includes a 4" angle vise, and a handful of R8 collets.

Located in West Central Ohio.

$1200.00

JH9_3002c.jpg

I think that Rockwell might fit the bill perfectly. I'm attempting to join that forum to see if I can learn more. thanks

I would stay away from the round column..

I would try to find one of the small bridgeports..

Back