Millermatic 252 for FCAW

I’m like that with my HF angle grinders, one each for flap disk, cutoff wheel, and grinding wheel.

But, I imagine Norm Abrams has a few sponsors that make it easy to switch out tools frequently.

I have 4 cheap Black & Decker angle grinders: stone, flap disc, cutoff wheel & wire brush.

I told my Dad today that I am considering buying another Millermatic 252 to use as a dedicated FCAW machine. He agreed with most of you & said that this plan is not cost effective.

This is probably the first time in my life that I am planning on not following my wise Dad’s advice. If the eBike sale goes through, I am going to be (imprudent? reckless? wasteful?) and buy another Millermatic 252. Everything is great with my GMAW machine, & I don’t want to switch things around on it, easy as that may be.

This will allow me to move forward with .045” which is what I had in mind from the beginning.

Also, I get a charge from buying machines; it is a distraction from the challenges of the real world. Work is so busy due to Amazon + COVID, so I am going to make hay while the sun shines, fully aware that I am probably doing things the wrong way.

A lot of people are talking about the likelihood of much higher inflation rates a few years down the road due to federal debt & quantitative easing. Maybe it is a good time to secure durable goods while the prices are reasonable?

Perhaps I didn't' see it, but are you talking about FCAW-S or FCAW-G?

Perhaps I didn't' see it, but are you talking about FCAW-S or FCAW-G?

Thank you for clarifying. I plan on dual shield. I plan to use C25, but that may change; I hope it doesn’t change because I want my C25 cylinders to be able to be used for either GMAW or FCAW.

My first welding machine that I ever bought (circa 2001) was such a huge disappointment. I got it from Harbor Freight. It was something like $99 or $129, and it was inner shield (i.e. no shielding gas). My experience with that Chinese machine was a fiasco from start to finish. Never again, although maybe it was operator error. I was doing a lot of partying back then (hopefully not while I was welding!).

I see. In one of the other posts it was mentioned to reverse the polarity for flux-core, but that is not the case with gas shielded flux core. Gasless flux core uses DCEN and gas shielded flux core uses DCEP just like solid wire GMAW. Just wanted to mention that.

Also keep in mind that just because you will be using 'dual shield' doesn't automatically mean you will get the deep-penetrating profile that it is known for. You have to run enough amps & volts to transition the transfer into spray transfer, where the tip of the wire starts to "needle point" on you, and droplets start to stream from end of the wire in order to reap those benefits.

I see. In one of the other posts it was mentioned to reverse the polarity for flux-core, but that is not the case with gas shielded flux core. Gasless flux core uses DCEN and gas shielded flux core uses DCEP just like solid wire GMAW. Just wanted to mention that.

Also keep in mind that just because you will be using 'dual shield' doesn't automatically mean you will get the deep-penetrating profile that it is known for. You have to run enough amps & volts to transition the transfer into spray transfer, where the tip of the wire starts to "needle point" on you, and droplets start to stream from end of the wire in order to reap those benefits.

I am glad that you clarified that both GMAW and dual shield flux core (i.e. FCAW-G) are both run on DCEP.

Your information about spray transfer is exactly why I want to immerse myself in this. Dual shield is one of only five welding processes in which I am interested (the others being GTAW, SMAW, GMAW and OFW), so I believe will have plenty of time to get good at it.

I believe that I have always done short circuit MIG, so the spray transfer will be a new experience for me.

At present, I am a welding nerd that welds for the sake of welding. I am more than happy just welding on coupons. I will fabricate something when I need to, but I prefer coupons because you get more arc time that way. If you spend a crazy amount of time welding coupons, things work out pretty nicely when you lay a bead on a “real” workpiece.

Last edited:
As small as your shop is, a 2nd 252 would be a waste of space and resources. I switch my 251 from .035 ER70s-6 to .045 71M as needed in less than 10 minutes. It's a spool of wire, feed cone, 2 rollers and a contact tip! The only time we make the swap is when we are working with 3/4" and thicker, which isn't that often.

If you must buy another machine take a hard look at a Miller 215 or 211, they are awesome. They are small, light, smooth, dual voltage, portable and will weld up to 3/8" plate. The duty cycle isn't as high, but the 3 we have and use every day have never let us down!

One good thing is that if later on you decided that having two 252s is overkill, or want something else, they are very, very easy to sell and you won't lose much money. I had a 252 and would have kept it but I got a killer deal on a 350P so I sold it and the new owner was thrilled to get it!

I told my Dad today that I am considering buying another Millermatic 252 to use as a dedicated FCAW machine. He agreed with most of you & said that this plan is not cost effective.

This is probably the first time in my life that I am planning on not following my wise Dad’s advice. If the eBike sale goes through, I am going to be (imprudent? reckless? wasteful?) and buy another Millermatic 252. Everything is great with my GMAW machine, & I don’t want to switch things around on it, easy as that may be.
Am I remembering correctly that your dad bought up the loan on your lathe to help you out a bit?

If that's the case, might be worth sticking your tail between your legs and heeding his advice on this one...

If you must buy another machine take a hard look at a Miller 215 or 211, they are awesome. They are small, light, smooth, dual voltage, portable and will weld up to 3/8" plate. The duty cycle isn't as high, but the 3 we have and use every day have never let us down!
I don't know the OP, or his shop setup, so I can't comment on that, but as much as I like the MM211 (I had one) I'm not sure it would make the most sense. By the time you put a 211 on a cart with a tank it's not all that much smaller footprint than a 252....it's smaller, no doubt, but I'm not sure it's enough of a difference to bother. At least with the 215 he'd be able to do DC TIG if he wanted to add that capability....save a bit of space, have dual-voltage capability and the ability to add DC TIG might add up to be worthwhile.

Back