Millermatic 252 for FCAW

I took my MIG class in 2019, when PG&E was doing all the safety shut downs so we missed several class sessions. FCAW was on the syllabus, but ended up a casualty of the lost sessions. Like you learning something new is of almost as much interest as the ability to make stuff, so I asked the instructor about FCAW. His opinion was that there wasn't much use to it outside of those specific uses where it is needed, basically some industrial use and some very specific home uses where gas is impractical.

I agree with the others that I'd start with getting the rollers for your machine to use the .035 and .045 FCAW wire, and play with it before investing in another machine. If you do decide you want to leave one set up, I'd consider something like the little Titanium FCAW welder from Harbor Freight. Not so much to be cheap ($199), but it only weighs 15lbs, and can be used from a shoulder strap so would actually provide some new utility for you, in being a very portable welder.

Titanium EZ Flux

The 252 is a great welder, that is what I used in my MIG class, I just don't see you using FCAW enough to justify the cost and space of a second $3000 machine.
This is exactly what I was thinking, I don't have space in my shop for a big dedicated welder and I've been looking at that little Titanium unit for a while now. Many years ago I used to carry a small HF flux core welder in my race trailer, that thing saved our race weekend many times and I finally ended up wearing it out. It never made great welds but when we needed it we sure were glad that it was there, I understand the inverter welders are much better too.

John

I was going to post this on the forum sooner or later, so I will do it now.

We have a 6 month old standard poodle, Daisy, who just loves to play fetch. For about 15-30 minutes a day, I play with her. Her attitude, particularly bringing the ball back, is absolutely perfect: living in the moment, excited and executing the task.

She is obviously much smarter than me, beating myself up about my past shortcomings and fearful of the future. One of the main reasons that I play fetch with her daily is to remind my dumb self that attitude is everything.

1BFDC86E-9306-4839-A1B2-411BD80A1DFD.jpeg

This is exactly what I was thinking, I don't have space in my shop for a big dedicated welder and I've been looking at that little Titanium unit for a while now. Many years ago I used to carry a small HF flux core welder in my race trailer, that thing saved our race weekend many times and I finally ended up wearing it out. It never made great welds but when we needed it we sure were glad that it was there, I understand the inverter welders are much better too.

John

It wasn't cheap, but I bought it following the buy once cry once program. Love my Miller 220 ACDC, does MIG, TIG (AC & DC) and stick so I figure unless I buy a tank to rebuild, it should do anything I will want to do. About 60lbs and fits into a 2x3 foot space.

If I buy a tank I want one of these. ;) I think I will have to satisfy myself with scale models though as I don't have the space for a fire engine and a tank in the driveway, and I'm not getting rid of the fire engine.

1619883220994.png

At some level of weld nerdiness, the nerd has a machine dedicated for a certain welding process.

Speaking of nerds, when I was working as a clerk for UPS, we had a gentleman who would come in just about every week to pick up a new (Marvel/Star Wars) display model. He was about 40 years old. The boxes were about as big as a bread basket.

Every time, he was practically floating in the door with joy and anticipation. When he got closer, he was always beaming. When I would hand him the box, he lit up even more. That is when he would excitedly announce which figure was in the box. I wish I could have filmed him clutching that box, hurrying out the door to probably tear into the box as soon as he got to his car.

I believe that, as he worked his job, he was thinking “This week is Darth Maul!” or the like. His customers probably thought that he loved his job.

Anyway, I think a lot of us here do the same thing. I know I do. I wonder if this is a pleasant distraction or a mistake.

I think there is more of that here than some would admit. Replace "Darth Maul" with 5C Spindexer or other "tool of the week". :D

My Miller 220 came with a couple of rollers so I can run .024" to .035". I think the 252 comes set up for .035" standard but I'm surprised it doesn't come with larger and smaller as well.

The standard poodle is/was number 1 on the list of breeds for intelligence, and problem solving, their minds need/like to be stimulated. Try hiding things, and other mental exercises, as well as physical exercise. :encourage:

I'm not much of a welder so I can't give advice as to how many or what style welders should be in a hobby shop. On the other hand a friend of mine has a fabrication shop and currently has 12 welders. Some are set up for aluminum, others are wire feed for mild steel, some are single phase, others are 3 phase, and some are engine driven portables for work in the field. To me it seems like more than is necessary, but he seems to use them all on a regular basis.

These are the ones he kept when downsizing his shop. He sold 6 others when he moved to the smaller shop. With the way business has been the last few months he's almost disappointed he let go of the larger building. He was in a partnership for years in the larger building. His old partner decided it was time to retire so they agreed on how the assets were split. At the time he couldn't justify the cost of keeping the larger place, but with the current work load it would be just the right size.

Didn't realize there were special feed rollers for flux core. Ran quite a bit of .035 and .045 with the standard ones.

Greg

At some level of weld nerdiness, the nerd has a machine dedicated for a certain welding process.

I heard it about Norm Abram (of This Old House and The New Yankee Workshop) that he doesn't change router bits, he changes routers.

Perhaps a nerd in plaid flannel, but he sure knows his stuff.

-brino

I heard it about Norm Abram (of This Old House and The New Yankee Workshop) that he doesn't change router bits, he changes routers.

Perhaps a nerd in plaid flannel, but he sure knows his stuff.

-brino
I’m like that with my HF angle grinders, one each for flap disk, cutoff wheel, and grinding wheel.

But, I imagine Norm Abrams has a few sponsors that make it easy to switch out tools frequently.

Back