[Metrology] Mill Spindle Mounted Microscope (aka Cheap Optical Comparator)

Here's the camera in my little setup. I think it will be useful to see fine detail and set the Y axis.

upload_2017-1-22_19-21-1.png

upload_2017-1-22_19-19-30.png

Pretty good magnification, even at the distance shown above.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey? Has anyone tested the sensitivity of the internal optics of this camera to shock/motion ? I mean once you zero this on the spindle center can you remove the camera, shake it, remount it and still be centered on the part? I could see something moving and it being off a little. If you are using this as a center finder that would be a problem.

By the way. The handlebar shaft clamp from a Razor Scooter fits the diameter of this camera. Don't tell your kids I told you that...
R

I don't know about resistance to shock but I mounted mine in an R8 collet with the hope of just being able to pop it in and out. I found that it had to be re-centered about 1 -2 thousandths each time. Jim's software adjustable crosshairs makes this a minor inconvenience now but it was disappointing. Once installed and centered, it seems to be fairly stable. It is after all, a piece of sensitive optics. I would try to protect any equipment like that from shock.

If you suspect the the centering may have shifted, you can always get an x-y coordinate of the point and rotate the microscope 180 degrees and get a second set of coordinates and average the two sets.

Got my first chance to use my centering scope+webcam to do a measurement on my mill+DRO. I needed to disassemble a desktop power supply. The two parts are held together with small hex head screws at the bottom of rather deep holes. Non of my nut drivers' OD would fit down the 6mm diameter hole. I was going to order a "precision" nut driver, but what size. It looked like a 5/32 head, but since it was as Asian unit, it must be metric. So, pull out the "scope-cam", look down the hole and used the DRO to measure flat-to-flat. 4mm! :)

Ken

I'm planning on adding one of these video microscopes to my mill soon, I'm thinking of a way to mount it semi permanently, I figure if it's offset exactly say 2"x and 2"y from the center of the spindle it would be easy to add/subtract that number and locate a starting reference point on the work. Has anyone else done or seen an arrangement like this before?

I'm planning on adding one of these video microscopes to my mill soon, I'm thinking of a way to mount it semi permanently, I figure if it's offset exactly say 2"x and 2"y from the center of the spindle it would be easy to add/subtract that number and locate a starting reference point on the work. Has anyone else done or seen an arrangement like this before?
If I were to do it, I would want some kind of protective cover for the optics and electronics when it is not being used. I would also be concerned about the optics shifting due to vibration during machining. This particular scope has plastic lens mounts that are not all that secure. You would probably have to recalibrate each time you used it. You might want to consider a detachable mount similar to those used on rifle scopes. They are very good at holding registration and would allow you to move the scope out of harm's way.

Anything is possible if you're clever enough;) I guess you could make a mount that attaches to the quill. The biggest problem that I can see is keeping the optics clean with a semi-permanent mount.

If I were to do it, I would want some kind of protective cover for the optics and electronics when it is not being used. I would also be concerned about the optics shifting due to vibration during machining. This particular scope has plastic lens mounts that are not all that secure. You would probably have to recalibrate each time you used it. You might want to consider a detachable mount similar to those used on rifle scopes. They are very good at holding registration and would allow you to move the scope out of harm's way.
RJ thanks for your input, all good points. I am looking into getting a more industrial USB camera and microscope lens arraignment for this project. I really like your idea of using rifle scope mounts, I may even have a couple in the ole gun parts box that I could use. I want to male it easily removable if it gets in the way of some operation. I am thinking of a retractable cover to protect the lens.

Anything is possible if you're clever enough;) I guess you could make a mount that attaches to the quill. The biggest problem that I can see is keeping the optics clean with a semi-permanent mount.
Thanks Jim, Yes I am designing it to be quill mounted, it will also house the tach sensor and the LED light ring... gonna be a few weeks till I can start the build though, gotta finish the DRO install first...

I may have missed it but I couldn't find where is /are the saved pictures stored? When I get my image in focus I click "snap" and that freezes the image that I am focused on. I then click "savepic" but I can't figure out where the pic is saved??
Another quick one. All of these 'scopes only list up to windows 7 and I'm assuming that's just for the software provided with them. The provided software worked for me in xp but not on windows 8. I mean the software where you can measure things and draw lines and what not. Because my 'scope ( I got it around a year or so ago) will work on windows 8 and the amcap software but the other one , cooling tech, I believe they called it; doesn't work on my windows 8. Is that how everyones newer scopes are working? Thanks.

Back