[Metrology] Mill Spindle Mounted Microscope (aka Cheap Optical Comparator)

Actual, GIS software and I think CAD routinely provides distance measurements at any scale (magnification) for all kinds of digital shapes- circles, polygons, lines etc. both areal measurement and linear distance measurement.

I wonder if there may be open source libraries available that might be imported to accomplish this function? I suppose the problem lies in establishing an initial datum regarding the workpiece-e.g. How long is an "inch" or other unit of measurement in the camera's viewing screen...

What would be cool is if you could draw a circle around the edge of a hole and the software would display the diameter.
The software that came with the camera does have that capability. You have to capture the image first and you have to calibrate the "ruler". The software provides for saving calibrations and you can capture multiple images, so calibrate with one image and then capture your target.

With the variable magnification and no feed back to the computer as to what the magnification is, it is impossible to have the software give you an actual measurement on the fly. If you started with a known standard, and then calibrated the camera at a given magnification and did not change that when inspecting the part, it would be possible to get a measurement. It is also possible in programming to do an edge find in two axis as long as there is enough contrast to actually find the edge, an auto measurement, including circles, could be extrapolated from that data. I haven't had time to play with it much, but I will try to get a few more features incorporated. It's a fun project, but has to be a spare time one, and I haven't had much spare time recently, those pesky customers keep wanting stuff. :)

I really need to look into this, I have been using my Skoal 45x centering scope today and love it, except for having to yoga twist myself into the mill to put my eye up to the tiny thing. A computer screen would be fantastic.

I really need to look into this, I have been using my Skoal 45x centering scope today and love it, except for having to yoga twist myself into the mill to put my eye up to the tiny thing. A computer screen would be fantastic.
Posts #30 and #34 is my adaptation of a Skoal scope and a webcam. The image is not as great as the microscope camera ones, but it does save me a lot of bumps on the head. The camera does have a problem adjusting to bright lights. It didn't when it was just a webcam. ????
Ken

With Bulls Eye.jpg
From your photo, it looks like you are using an earlier rev. Download the latest (rev. 5, I believe) found earlier in this thread and install.

Yes I wasn't using the latest version. The latest version is improved a lot and is quite useful. It works perfectly fine in my Win10 main laptop.

I have a smaller laptop to with only 12" screen. It uses Win XP and the app runs but I can't connect the camera to the app in this computer. The camera connects to other applications like the Amcap application that came with the microscope. Advice is appreciated.

That happened to me a couple of times. Try reinstalling the camera via the menu: Settings > Add Camera For some reason, it doesn't seem to see a previously added camera.

View attachment 116215
I have a smaller laptop to with only 12" screen. It uses Win XP and the app runs but I can't connect the camera to the app in this computer. The camera connects to other applications like the Amcap application that came with the microscope. Advice is appreciated.

The camera may also be listed as USB camera or something like that.

Another one purchased....Not sure what I'll do with it yet...

Back