Might be moving Will need a shop

We have to be very careful.
I think many of us agree, a housing market adjustment is looming.
The property I highlighted is on the top end of our budget.
Rich? No, we aren't rich, we have just been fortunate and have worked hard and saved/invested.
While housing starts are way up, the birthrate points to a decline in population, which would seem to point to an eventual glut of houses.

I have been following his egress episodes.
You can tell he is very happy with his new shop-home and property.
He is going to have a bit of a commute assuming he is still working.
Having moved 27x> I only see the daunting logistics. And moving his shop would be 100x’s harder.

he doesn’t say if he’s still renting or buying, but it sounds like he’s very happy with the whole thing. Nice that the shop is already there. And the big drive through center is what I would love to have. He is going to be dealing with a lot of dust and heat. Something and if renting I don’t think I’d want to do improvements like insulation etc.

yeah he’s not said if he’s still working for the lab or not. That commute would kill me.

which would seem to point to an eventual glut of houses.
You would think so, but unlike normal supply and demand the prices do NOT at all reflect it. Just like ‘07 financial forces are at work which are harvesting those who thought this boom was going to go on forever and took out seconds. Their houses are now LLC’s rentals for more than the cost of a normal mortgage. With leases like what they tried to do to Tom Lipton where you pay a crazy lease, YOU ARE LIABLE FOR ALL UPKEEP! And can be fined like if you don’t mow the lawn.

I only see the daunting logistics. And moving his shop would be 100x’s harder.
He said they moved his wife's art studio the previous week.
Boxing up, planning and moving all of Tom's heavy equipment is going to be an epic adventure.
Not to worry, Chuck is helping.
Tom said his geriatric moving crew will give him a helping hand.

Not to worry, Chuck is helping.
LOL, did you catch the part where Tom said a friend let him take a nap? I resemble that remark!

We moved from Visalia to Los Osos 12yrs ago and I'm hoping it is the very last time I have to do that. And I didn't even have my dinky lathe or my mill/drill or any of the truly heavy metal I've collected since we came here.

The move seems to be a populace who just lives in there little ticky tacky houses...and does what? There's no garage, no place to work and the HOA's are vehemently against and doing or making. I'm not a fan of a bunch of bubba's standing around working on derelict car's at all hours of the night or day or looking at junk in the neighbor's yard. But there seems no middle ground. When we moved here we looked at mobile home parks because back then they were kinda nice and affordable. But no place to work and too many busy bodies in other people's biz. Now they are almost at much as a house and you don't even own the land it's on, if you can call the postage stamp, stacked like chordwood a lot!

When we were looking at houses the last time, we had a look in particularly nice looking neighborhood.
Almost too nice: there was not one blade of grass out of place. When we got home, I looked up their HOA
which had a website that someone obviously spent a lot of time on. Very informative and open about how
they worked, but what stood out was a list of actual infractions and the penalties imposed. It was a very long list.
Needless to say, we passed on that place.

Did another inspection of the place yesterday. The electrical in the house is going to be interesting to sort out to say the least. I will be removing a wall A/C unit and a vintage electric wall heater. I am hoping that gives me enough to put in a mini split heater/AC. In the laundry there is a sub panel that feeds the electric dryer outlet and a defunct solar hot water system. I have visions that this sub panel takes power from the range/oven which is on the other side of the wall. I hope I am wrong about this. Lots of double pole breakers in the main electrical panel but very few were marked. There was a solar electrical system. The panels and the inverter have been removed but the shut off to the main panel is still in place. I wonder if I can just install replacement panels without going through the whole permitting process. Going to give that a try and ask for forgiveness if I am wrong.

Getting back to my shed/shop. I am planning on two 20 amp circuits for power tools. Remember I only use one tool at a time. A 220 circuit just in case I should ever get a 220 welder and a 15 amp light circuit. I will put in a 100 amp rated subpanel.

The new place is in Heritage Ranch at Lake Nacimento. There appears to be different enforcement policies in different areas of the development. The area that this house is in appears to be very lax on enforcing the CC&R's. People had stuff everywhere. Boats, jet skis, RV's, stacks of firewood, etc littered some of the front yards. I am not too worried about running afoul of the HOA based on what I have seen.

The new place is in Heritage Ranch at Lake Nacimento.
There ya go. I’ve seen some really decent deals there. It’s an interesting area that was going to be a rec area before the drought. Lake is not much of a lake anymore.

I'm a little surprised there is much of anything as far as HOA. All the prices there dropped drastically after 08 then got spotty with the drought. I would think that would be a buyers mkt. Do you think you could get away with a couple of containers for a shop? I knew some guys in Bear valley who got away with it because they are not permanent structures.

Its kinda remote for me as I don’t like to be too far from a good hardware store or grocery. But I think you’re used to it where you live and know how to plan your logistics.

Good luck, hope it works out.

There is a small shopping center with a market, gas station and several restaurants at Heritage Ranch. I think that there is also a medical office that is maned several days a week by a nurse practioner. Closest hardware store is in Paso Robles. There is also a school for grades K to 8th.

The HOA is fairly active. One of their biggest issues is people who have a rental property in Heritage Ranch but don't live there using the extensive common areas. The most convoluted section of the CC&Rs deals with non resident property owners. In a nut shell if you don't live in Heritage Ranch you don't have the right to use the common areas. You give that right to your tenants.

Containers aren't inexpensive these days. There is a big demand for containers and the prices have increased dramatically over the last several years. One of my daughter and son in law's friends is in the container business. To make them really usable they need to be finished off inside. You basically have to build a structure inside the container. Containers aren't allowed to my knowledge in Heritage Ranch

Did another inspection of the place yesterday. The electrical in the house is going to be interesting to sort out to say the least. I will be removing a wall A/C unit and a vintage electric wall heater. I am hoping that gives me enough to put in a mini split heater/AC. In the laundry there is a sub panel that feeds the electric dryer outlet and a defunct solar hot water system. I have visions that this sub panel takes power from the range/oven which is on the other side of the wall. I hope I am wrong about this. Lots of double pole breakers in the main electrical panel but very few were marked. There was a solar electrical system. The panels and the inverter have been removed but the shut off to the main panel is still in place. I wonder if I can just install replacement panels without going through the whole permitting process. Going to give that a try and ask for forgiveness if I am wrong.

Getting back to my shed/shop. I am planning on two 20 amp circuits for power tools. Remember I only use one tool at a time. A 220 circuit just in case I should ever get a 220 welder and a 15 amp light circuit. I will put in a 100 amp rated subpanel.

The new place is in Heritage Ranch at Lake Nacimento. There appears to be different enforcement policies in different areas of the development. The area that this house is in appears to be very lax on enforcing the CC&R's. People had stuff everywhere. Boats, jet skis, RV's, stacks of firewood, etc littered some of the front yards. I am not too worried about running afoul of the HOA based on what I have seen.
Don't forget to account for the possibility of running a compressor while using other tools. They draw a significant amount of power.

Back