Micrometer reamer stop ?

Going back to the original topic of this thread "Micrometer Reamer Stop" I believe the designer, Nat Lambeth, has released a new version of the micrometer reamer stop and you can find the instructions on his website MARS reamer stop
Nat is a great guy to deal with just send him an email

I won a two hundred yard match 2 weeks ago shooting 26.3 grains of 10x behind 65 grain bullets. I believe I would not be able to shoot your rifle. That thing would end my benchrest shooting. I would never get over the "flinch" it would create for me. You are a much braver man than I.

I wonder how much effect a muzzle brake would have on that rifle.
WoW Just looked at the price of those bullets. Almost 3 bucks a shot just for the bullet. A trip to the range could be costly. I get 800 to 1200 rounds out of a barrel before it is no longer at the highest competitive level. (throat erosion, fire cracking, etc) That is about 4 pounds of powder.
You will burn that much powder in about 215 shots. Thank you for sharing that information. My wife says I spend way too much money on Benchrest. (powder, bullet jackets, cores, brass, primers, barrels, travel, match fees, etc) but your game makes me look like a miser :)

Going back to the original topic of this thread "Micrometer Reamer Stop" I believe the designer, Nat Lambeth, has released a new version of the micrometer reamer stop and you can find the instructions on his website MARS reamer stop
Nat is a great guy to deal with just send him an email
i dont see any difference in the current product on the web site and the version produced by by PTG several years ago.

I don't know what he's done in regards to it's evolution, I just saw it mentioned on a few forums that he was/had release an updated version.
Send him an email and ask.

I have a sad story about long range shooting. A buddy of mine (world class shooter) and I were discussing long range shooting. he has shot many 1k matches and did pretty well at it. We were discussing the Winchester short magnums and got a bug to build a couple of 1k guns based on the 243 WSSM. I dont remember exactly what all we changed (maybe shortened it) and I know that we shrunk the neck diameter to give a thou of clearance in the chamber. PTG made the reamer. Mc Millian made the stock, Kreiger made the barrel (1.25 diameter 8 twist). About 8 months into the mission, we had everything in place. Went to the range to fire form some brass. First shot, couldn't open the bolt! Beat it open. Pulled the bullets on the rest of the cases. Reduced the powder and did it again. Can't open the bolt. My buddy's gun did the same thing! We decided that the brass was crap and we needed to get some good stuff. Wait... nobody makes WSSM brass except Winchester. Disappointed but not beaten, I chopped off the chamber and got another reamer for 6mm Creedmore. Re-chambered the barrel. back to the range. Wont extract the case! Oops. I have a magnum bolt trying to extract a regular size case. Call BAT. Got a new bolt. (expensive) Lost interest in the project. That gun is my safe queen. Been there 3 or 4 years now.
View attachment 348269
One of these days, the bug will bite again and I will get another reamer, another barrel, more ambition, etc.
shoot man I don’t know how I missed this post. Build you something in 7mm that’s one hell of a nice rig to be a safe queen!!!! I’m out her in west Texas the winds are killer the 6mm ain’t enough weight. I built a 6xc about a year ago. She’s a lot of fun out to 600. My current fclass rifle is a 280AI I couldn’t be happier.

I don't know what he's done in regards to it's evolution, I just saw it mentioned on a few forums that he was/had release an updated version.
Send him an email and ask.
I don't need another one. The set that I have works fine. All my guns are the same caliber and I use the same reamer for all of them.

I haven't had the chance to get this project under way as yet. My reamer is likely at the bottom of the to do list at one of the US manufacturers . I have to do some serious calculations before I order my blank, and I will be forced to source it locally ( in Canada ) as any of the US. builders thru no fault of their own are in the $1000.00 to $1500.00 range by the time I pay for the importer to bring it across the 49th parallel ( free trade you know)? As soon as I start making chips I will post my progress( and likely as for tips / pointers ) along the way. For a start, does anyone have an XP-100 with a bull profile BBL. that they would be willing to share the external dimensions.

en't had the chance to get this project under way as yet. My reamer is likely at the bottom of the to do list at one of the US manufacturers . I have to do some serious calculations before I order my blank, and I will be forced to source it locally ( in Canada ) as any of the US. builders thru no fault of their own are in the $1000.00 to $1500.00 range by the time I pay for the importer to bring it across the 49th parallel ( free trade you know)? As soon as I start making chips I will post my progress( and likely as for tips / pointers ) along the way. For a start, does anyone have an XP-100 with a bull profile BBL. that they would be willing to share the external dimensions.
I will ask my buddy Lester if he still has his xp. Back in the day, he set some world records with it. Bob Brackney, a well known Arizona gunsmith shoots xp100's in benchrest competition. I saw him a few weeks ago at our club meeting but he has not been to the range in months. I can drop him an email and ask. What dimensions are you looking for?

Thanks for the reply, Really all I am looking for would be the "profile " of the BBL. externally for a bull. When I order my blank I am going to have it profiled. Any remaining measurements I will get myself. Really what I need to know is what size channel will work for the stock that I will be ordering.

You present a tough question. What are you going to use the gun for? What is the predominant feature you are looking for? All my builds are competition guns. (short range Benchrest) The profile of my barrels is: 1.2 at the receiver. taper to 920 at the muzzle. The channel in the stock has no taper. Most of my stocks are Bruno-McMillian (design by Bruno-built by McMillian) I have never paid any attention to the barrel channel other than to make sure that the action was high enough in the stock so that the barrel cleared. My build process is to get the stock, rough it out for the action and trigger on the mill. Slop in the bedding, wax up the receiver (car wax) put the barreled action in place get it as straight as possible (for me) use shims, clamps, bungee cords, etc. until you think you have it right. Spend the next hour or two cleaning the bedding off of everywhere it oozes out of. (around the action) Then go and make bullets or something. Wait a day. Pop the barreled action out, clean off the wax, ruff up the bedding (marine tex) under the receiver. I use JB weld to glue the action in. Spend another hour cleaning the excess JB weld from around the receiver.(the corner of a business card works great for getting the glue from around the receiver) Done. There is an argument around glue-ins vs screw-ins. Pick your side. (you never worry about loose screws on a glue in but you cant test barrel fit in the lathe)

My guns have a weight limit. I try to be as close as possible to the max weight. If I am under weight. I attach a piece of barrel (turned down) to the inside of the butt plate. Usually at a match when the rifles are weighed, I have to remove the scope caps (and sometimes the turret covers) to make weight. I have a couple new scopes that are heaver than my current scopes. To use the new scopes, I have to loose some weight. Fluting the barrel is the quickest and easiest way to do that. I find that a 3/16 wide, 95 thou deep flute 15 inches long will reduce weight about 3/4 of an ounce. Just for fun today, I cut 9 flutes in a barrel. (.095 deep) to see how hard I could push a cutter. I ended up doing just over 3 inches a minute at 260 rpm. (2.25 inch cutter) Those 9 flutes resulted in 8.4 Oz weight reduction. (a big mess, and a used up cutter) I normally cut around 180 - 200 rpm and 1.5 - 2 inches per minute.
That's my story. Benchrest shooters change barrels more frequently than they change underwear. Whenever there is a break in their schedule, they build a gun. The new one is always better than the old one. (at least that is what they tell everyone)

Back