McMaster Carr shipping gone up?

I actually started at USPS the same day as DeJoy.
Luckily 3 days later I got an offer in my field for 3x as much.

I saw that recently McMaster added a shipping cost page before you check out. It only bothered me once that I didn't know the shipping cost prior to checking out because I found their shipping prices and delivery to be an excellent value.

Sure I can buy many of the items they offer for less money but they do the really hard work of sourcing quality stuff to begin with. It does me no good to save $4 if the item is such poor quality that I can't use it anyway. And for our hobby? I can order a 1ft piece of whatever type of steel I want and have it at my door the next day, with a certificate that confirms I got what I ordered....

I'm a happy customer and will return over and over again if they just keep up what they're doing:)

John

I saw that recently McMaster added a shipping cost page before you check out. It only bothered me once that I didn't know the shipping cost prior to checking out because I found their shipping prices and delivery to be an excellent value.

Sure I can buy many of the items they offer for less money but they do the really hard work of sourcing quality stuff to begin with. It does me no good to save $4 if the item is such poor quality that I can't use it anyway. And for our hobby? I can order a 1ft piece of whatever type of steel I want and have it at my door the next day, with a certificate that confirms I got what I ordered....

I'm a happy customer and will return over and over again if they just keep up what they're doing:)

John
I agree, I look at the shipping as paying the "McMaster" tax. I get quality products delivered rapidly and excellent customer service to go along with it. Being able to see what the shipping is now prior to placing the order is just a bonus and avoids surprises.

John
I got burned once with shipping from McMaster before they showed the shipping price. I bought 6ft lengths of steel to have on hand for projects and would have saved a good amount if I bought two 3ft lengths of each size instead. Live and learn. Now when I buy from somewhere like Midwest, I know to order shorter lengths unless I really need it that long.

I recently was looking to get a 3/8” 5c collet, I have a metric set, so only needed that inch size. I wanted to try a higher quality than the value brands made in China and I checked with the usual suspects, Travers was about $30 for Lyndex, and KBC was $32. McMaster had them at $26, but didn’t know the brand. I went with McMaster since I was ordering from them anyways, so shipping of the collet was basically free. They shipped a Lyndex collet, so they are not more expensive than elsewhere on some items.

McMaster ships USPS all the time. You just have to request it. In the “Additional Instructions” field at checkout tell them what shipping service want. For small things like a box of screws I will put in “Send USPS Priority Fixed Rate”. You won’t know the exact charge until later, but it is often cheaper than UPS. Note that UPS prices have gone up, and mill cardboard for shipping boxes is up 40 percent (from pre Covid levels).

McMaster ships USPS all the time. You just have to request it. In the “Additional Instructions” field at checkout tell them what shipping service want. For small things like a box of screws I will put in “Send USPS Priority Fixed Rate”. You won’t know the exact charge until later, but it is often cheaper than UPS. Note that UPS prices have gone up, and mill cardboard for shipping boxes is up 40 percent (from pre Covid levels).
Literally everything is up a ridiculous amount from pre-covid... Highest inflation rate in 40 years last year..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

McMaster ships USPS all the time. You just have to request it. In the “Additional Instructions” field at checkout tell them what shipping service want. For small things like a box of screws I will put in “Send USPS Priority Fixed Rate”.
I did not know you could request different shipping method. Good tip David. I often don't need something fast, being just a hobby and not a production shop. Will do that from now on when it's a small order.

Back