McMaster Carr shipping gone up?

diamond

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone notice how pricey McMaster Carr shipping has become? I know everything is more expensive these days but dang. I'm ordering two silly little limit switches for $38 and the ground shipping is over $21! ( 60% of the product cost!!!). :eek: It's nice that they now show the shipping cost on-line in the order but no way ground costs that much. I haven't ordered from them in a while and checked my previous orders. Shipping was WAY less.

Remove one of the switches from your cart and see if the shipping drops. Maybe the two are shipping from two different locations and that will double the shipping cost.

I always check the shipping after adding things to my cart when ordering from McMaster and watch the results. For example, I've currently got items in my cart that are small. But, when adding a 3' length of drill rod, the cost doubled. Apparently this requires two different packages and they don't charge shipping by order, but by packaging and actual shipping cost.

Ted

Ted I think you nailed it. Two little switches but taking either one out of the cart cuts the shipping in half. Still... ouch.

What Ted said, if the products are coming from separate warehouses, there will be two shipping charges in that cost. Checking that saved me a couple times.

I actually find the shipping costs from McMaster very reasonable compared to many other companies. A small shipment from them is usually about $8 for shipping, the same items from Travers is $14 even though they are closer. I have wanted to buy some things from Mari Tool, but shipping is at least $20, so I am waiting until I have enough items to make that cost worthwhile.

I recently ordered a single small item from McMaster-Carr. Placed the order mid morning on Saturday.
UPS delivered it mid morning Monday. $11 shipping. Ask Bezos to do the same......Good Luck.

Flat rate boxes go up so fast I can't keep up with them. :eek:

UPS is very expensive.
If you need it fast, you really can’t beat McMaster. Imho
Yup, and just got notice there is going to be another price hike. UPS is great for overseas, domestic not so much. USPS has been keeping close the same price for quite awhile. I get annoyed when a company doesn’t offer different shipping options and often don’t buy because of that and not offering to be able to use PayPal instead of my credit card.

They could solve a lot of this if they just offered USPS shipping as an option. Frequently I do not need it the next day so a flat rate box would do just fine. Another thing to watch is the size of the item. I recently purchased a piece of rod which I was going to cut up into smaller pieces. I ordered a 6 ft piece. If I had ordered two three ft pieces the shipping would have gone way down. That was mostly my fault for not looking at the shipping cost before placing the order. I am not sure of how to solve the problem of duplicate items shipped from separate locations.

Back