Matts Precision Matthews 1236

Mr zoom zoom, you do not need to beat up on people who are only trying to help. Good luck with your new lathe.

Over and out.

Reactions: jer
I think we are all concerned with safety. I work in construction and have unfortunately seen too many injuries and deaths, the last thing I want to see is someone getting hurt doing a hobby.

It appears that zoom zoom has departed. Too bad!! I hope he is still lurking and will reconsider leaving. I can understand his frustration. I participate in several forums on various topics. One, in particular, is about the Linux operating system for computers. I have displayed some relatively unprofessional judgement there, and even threatened to leave permanently--Lucky for me, I reconsidered and one or two of the more patient members talked me through the rough spots and eased my frustrations. ( I still do not understand the intricacies of Linux, but I continue to plod along gaining knowledge and experience with every failure--or rare success.)

Sometimes it may appear that a poster is unwilling to listen to advice, and that frequently leads to hurt feelings and rash actions. Sadly, the printed words in a forum seldom convey the deeper meaning of what was intended. Sometimes goodwill messages end up being perceived as belittling of "making fun of" when the real reason was genuine concern for personal safety or not ruining a tool.

Although I still feel that he needs to slow down and take a more systematic approach, I can totally understand his excitement and desire to hustle along and skip the basics.

So, zoom zoom, if you are still out there, you may contact me via email, or phone, or just drive out to Delaware and we can spend some time in my shop with my 12x36 till you get comfortable. You can make a post here so that we can connect. I do not claim to be an expert, just a hobby tinkerer.

Jerry in Delaware

I'll leave this post up as a small contribution to this site, for posterities sake, I feel I did a good job of contributing my experience as a first time buyer and machine owner but you guys are absolutey ridiculous, ridiculing me several times over AFTER THE ISSUE WAS FIXED! Good riddance.
Going back and reading through the thread, I see a lot of people spending time to give you advice on how to fix and use your lathe correctly.

I see a few people commenting on wiring it up in violation of the National Electric Code.

I see absolutely nobody ridiculing you. I am sorry to see so many people here waste their time offering good advice.

This is the friendliest machining forum on the internet. I suggest you go over to Practical Machinist and post a similar set of threads to what you posted here and see what happens.

tmarks, unfortunately, I have seen this happen several times over with other hobbies that I have. One in particular is target archery. It seems that every time a new guy gets "the bug" and decides to dive in whole hog, they want to jump straight to a high level of shooting. It doesn't work like that. Mistakes are made often, and often they are the best teachers / lessons. I have seen many a newbie get ****** off and quit because they didn't want to slow down, put in their time, and learn how to do things the right way. As you can imagine, safety in a sport where deadly weapons are involved, is paramount. Too often I have seen people pulling way too much draw weight for them to comfortably handle, all in the name of having the fastest bow possible. Then when they grunt and strain to get the bow pulled back, after pointing in towards others, they get completely offended when someone politely corrects them. Inevitably, they storm off and often never return.

Sadly, we are in an age of instant gratification and quickly obtained knowledge. The problem comes in when people try to apply their quickly obtained knowledge without any experience. People think that they are able to instantly become whatever they seem in a youtube video. However, experience is only gained through time and practice, neither of which some people are willing to devote.

I can also say that this is truly the most polite, respectful forum that I have ever been a part of. I have never seen anyone call someone else a derogatory name, insult someone else, or belittle anyone else. Everyone here is helpful. Hopefully zoom zoom will return when he cools down and realizes that the people here actually give a crap and don't want to see him get hurt or burn his house down.

Sadly, we are in an age of instant gratification and quickly obtained knowledge. The problem comes in when people try to apply their quickly obtained knowledge without any experience. People think that they are able to instantly become whatever they seem in a youtube video. However, experience is only gained through time and practice, neither of which some people are willing to devote. ......

Probably not the right forum for this question, but it is relative I believe; What would you gentlemen recommend a new guy with a new(to him) lathe to practice first? Is there any recommended order of things to do first? For instance, step one practice turning an outside diameter to specific measurment +/- .005? After that is 'mastered' practice facing, etc?

In other words, If I want to jump in, where would I start to build my skills and what order of skills should I practice? This would be especially helpful to those who can't for whatever reason attend a community college or other organized training class.

MF that is a good question. First thing I would advise is understand how the machine works, lathe or mill. Know what the different knobs and levers do, and how they are used in operating the machine. I did go to different schools, but you really do learn by doing this for a living. I did keep all of my military school training material, I found it all up in the attic last week. Give me some time, and I will see if I can find some information on learning how to use a lathe and try to post it on this forum. it may help a lot of people with questions.

Strange thread , am I missing something?

Yes, there are a number of replies missing from zoom zoom. It seems he was not receptive to accepting suggestions from more experienced members regarding technique and safety. The following quote pretty much says it all.

I'll leave this post up as a small contribution to this site, for posterities sake, I feel I did a good job of contributing my experience as a first time buyer and machine owner but you guys are absolutey ridiculous, ridiculing me several times over AFTER THE ISSUE WAS FIXED! Good riddance.

Koba, I think you are on the right track with your response to Mr Fixit's question. As a relative newbie myself, I can appreciate the sincerity of the question. For me, the one thing that I made absolutely sure about was that I knew what every knob and lever on the machine did BEFORE I tried to turn anything. I spent a few hours "machining air" to get used to the controls. Then when I did start, I started with basic operations followed by measuring as precisely as I could so that I could observe my results. I did all of my work initially with a 3-jaw chuck. Now pretty much all I use is the 4-jaw unless a special need arises for the 3-jaw. I did make a couple of minor mistakes, but I took my time to actually learn what I was doing. The main thing I understood from the beginning was that the machines could seriously hurt me. I have tried very hard to not just rush into things without thinking them through.

Back