Matts Precision Matthews 1236

Make a very light cut without using the live center, I repeat the cut without changing the settings (called a spring cut) to reduce any chance flex with through off the readings and then measure the test bar. This will check for bed twist and head stock alignment. My lathe new had .006" taper over 7" which I adjusted out using the headstock adjustment bolts. Fine tuning can be done by tweaking the leveling feet which affects the bed twist if present. The test you did using the live center is for checking the tailstock alignment. In your case the tailstock would be adjusted to eliminate the .003" taper. You should do the bed twist/headstock alignment test first before messing with the tailstock. Wait for a better level before adjusting anything.

On these smaller lathes bed twist can be tough to adjust as the stand tends to not be stiff enough to affect the bed when adjusting the leveling feet. You'll just have to see how your lathe reacts. You do need to do these steps in the proper order, here's how I do it.

1. Level lathe end to end.
2. Level lathe front to back. Set up level near headstock end either on the ways or cross slide. Recheck level end to end.
3. Check for bed twist. Check level at headstock end and then tailstock end. Any difference in level is due to bed twist. Preload the leveling feet to remove twist.
4. Once the lathe is level in both directions use the test bar unsupported to check for alignment. Adjust as needed.
5. With any taper in the bar removed next check for alignment of the tailstock. You can use the same test bar. Adjust the tailstock if you have any taper.
6. Make beautiful parts and have fun. Be safe.

on your last photo on cutting threads, that tool you are using is a turning tool, you cannot use it to cut threads, check with who ever you bought the tools from and see if they sell threading tools that will fit your tool post holder

on your last photo on cutting threads, that tool you are using is a turning tool, you cannot use it to cut threads, check with who ever you bought the tools from and see if they sell threading tools that will fit your tool post holder
Strongly recommend you spend a little time watching some youtube videos. This isn't the sort of thing you are going to pick up by trial and error and from the forums.

The 45 degrees for the compound, using a turning tool, etc, shows me that you are trying to plunge straight into this without learning the basics.

Are there any community colleges in your area that offer machining classes?

I wouldn't know what to look for to see "if the motor is configured correctly for 220V 1 Phase." I ran 14/2 wire from a dedicated 20A breaker, should be way more than enough, it was powering a 2HP motor on a homemade (engine) air compressor for a couple years.

A 20 amp circuit requires 12 AWG conductors. 14 AWG is suitable for use with a 15 amp breaker. I don't know what your motor specs are but if the breaker is 20 amp, the conductors need to be 12 AWG or larger.

Edit: After reading the rest of the thread, I see the subject had already been well covered.

Last edited:
Back