Master precision Machinist level

Good choice of the Noga indicator stand. I bought a cheapy one where you have to tighten and loosen multiple knobs to adjust position and it's fairly obnoxious.

I'm waiting for my Noga delivery now. Just have to put the lathe back together now! :D
I tried it, and it was a breeze to articulate. Hope it lasts as I love it.

Hope your lathe comes back together nice. I am scare to even think about it.

Hope your lathe comes back together nice. I am scare to even think about it.
Eh, the Chinese mini lathes like my 7x14 really benefit from being stripped down, cleaned and tidied. ;)

ArcEuroTrade (one of the main Seig lathe importers in the UK) actually link their 'picture story book' guide to disassembly and re-assembly on their SC3 product page (the SC3 is essentially the same lathe that I have). As part of that they recommend several modifications (including replacing the bearings with taper bearings; they also offer angular contact bearings).

These mini lathes aren't that complicated really (especially with ArcEuroTrade's guide and this forum at hand); it's just a case of being 'present' when you're working and not underestimating the force you can apply with a 12 ton hydraulic press! [ahem] :D

Sooner or later I expect I'll upgrade to something like a Colchester Bantam or Student gear head lathe and a compete teardown of one of those will be an intimidating prospect! ;)

Finally Amazon arrived :)
Is that Mit test indicator in thousandths?

Ive never seen one with that wide of a range if so and at first I cringed with that one, but then I realized for a beginner it is probably a better unit for you than I would prefer, as it will be much more forgiving of misuse.

Colchester Bantam or Student
Here's my opinion, and this is only my opinion.

Skip those two and get something with the controls properly laid out.

The design of those seem to be made to keep children's faces out of the line of fire with the chuck and seem like they would be less than ergonomic to use once you know what you're doing.

Here's my opinion, and this is only my opinion.

Skip those two and get something with the controls properly laid out.

The design of those seem to be made to keep children's faces out of the line of fire with the chuck and seem like they would be less than ergonomic to use once you know what you're doing.
Interesting. The Colchester brand in general and the Student especially seems to be highly regarded

Which other English lathes (as those tend to be much easier to find in the UK) would you suggest?

I think when I upgrade I'd want it to be be something with a quick change gearbox.

BTW, upgrading isn't in the near future.

Is that Mit test indicator in thousandths?

Ive never seen one with that wide of a range if so and at first I cringed with that one, but then I realized for a beginner it is probably a better unit for you than I would prefer, as it will be much more forgiving of misuse.
I got it as it fits the range of the other instruments still need to get a beater one. So I can learn on how not to brake the good one.

Please don't hate me, but I just bought a VIS 12" from ebay. .0005" over 10". I would have preferred something less sensitive, but it seems that the norm is these super sensitive units. I hear you guys about some of these levels being too sensitive, but there doesn't seem to be much in the middle ground, between crazy sensitive, and lumber grade.

Please don't hate me, but I just bought a VIS 12" from ebay. .0005" over 10".
It’s your money. Lol. My daughter buys clothes with torn and ripped holes in them brand new. My opinion of either purchase is completely irrelevant. And 90 percent of people here wouldn’t spend money on what I have. Enjoy!

Back