Master precision Machinist level

tim81

Registered
Registered
Hi guys,

I was looking into the measuring tools for lathe/mill and I found this”

Accusize Industrial Tools 12'' Master Precision Level in Fitted Box, Accuracy 0.0002''/10'', S908-C687”​

while venturing on Amazon:

Do I need to get a precision machinist level at my very very early stages of learning.

=Tim

Hi guys,

Accusize Industrial Tools 12'' Master Precision Level in Fitted Box, Accuracy 0.0002''/10'', S908-C687”​

Do I need to get a precision machinist level at my very very early stages of learning.

=Tim
I bought one of those and I like it; but, it will leave you chasing the bubble as it is very sensitive. A .001 in 10 inches will get you there; but if you are patient that is a good tool.

Hi guys,

=Tim

No, yes and it depends.

Without knowing your machine or skill level and desired accuracy its hard to say.

I haven't bothered going too deep into leveling my big machines in the garage for various reasons, wear being one.

In my mini shop in the basement where everything is brandy new, I haven't done this either. I got lucky with one small machine as it is of very good quality, and chose the best I could afford (Reasonably) with the other, then put a bunch of work into both to make them better and their fine as is.

Once I build up the plinth I plan on mounting them on permanently, and after letting that settle a bit I might go that route.

The question only you can answer, is would you be better off buying this now, or would better/more tooling suit you for the time being.

Last edited:
I
Hi guys,

=Tim
Ebay is the way to go imo. I got a very nice starrett master level for around $300 on eBay. Only used it when setting up my machines but it’s nice to have around to keep track of any settling that may occur

Do you "need" to.... Well, no.

Would it benefit you? Maybe. Probably even. But probably not as much as it would first seem.

Here's my opinion on those. I want one, but I don't have one and won't be getting one any time soon. I live in Vermont, I work in a basement, and seasons change. You're in PA somewhere, so I'll bet this affects you as well. Winter, seasonal ground moisture changes, and a general shifting of anything built into or onto the ground. Your floors are gonna move enough seasonally to drive that level bat(crap) crazy.

Yes, it can make things VERY level. And that's great. It's a shortcut to get set up. But in the end, after your setup, you're going to end up (probably) doing it over, and over, and over... When in fact that is not necessary. Is it nice? Sure. It'd be cool if you could do an accurate setup off of your mill table with just that simple measurement. But things move.

Now, if you're repairing, rebuilding machines... You need to compare surface A to surface B... Yeah, at some instant in time this can be a very powerful tool for comparative readings. But for leveling a mill as an assembly? Not needed. For leveling a lathe? Even if you got it leveled "perfect", you're still going to end up doing the final tweaks (probably tweaking -away- from perfect), by the cuts it takes.

I think, until you're into serious stuff, what you NEED is a carpenter's level, and the diligence to check level with the level in both directions, until the bubble offsets match. That'll get you pretty far if you pay attention to it.

Now that I've said that... It is a good tool. You'll tear your hair out over it, probably more than a few times. But it's a good tool. If you WANT that tool... I bet you've spent more on tools that weren't "needed" for some particular job. My suggestion is, if you want one, stick it on your luxury list, and wait for a good deal on a used one, a fire sale on a new one, or when you're in a position to grab one "just because you can", without worrying if it's going spoil the tool budget and keep you from more useful and/or necessary tooling.

This advice is from a guy who is prone to using a tenths and/or a 50 millionths indicator (good grief those things are fiddly, to a degree that will make the level in question seem easy....) to inspect parts who's tolerance might be five or ten thousandths. Just to try to "see" and understand the sizes, shapes, and general imperfectons of seemingly (and practically) perfect parts that clearly are just how they are supposed to be. Stuff made with tools that are not reasonably capable of working to those tolerances. For me it's not necessity, it's more of a studying and learning thing than a practical measurement. If you WANT that level, there's no reason you shouldn't have it, and will probably enjoy using it, and will probably find a thousand ways to do useful things, borderline useful things, and totally useless things just for an excuse to use it. And there's nothing wrong with that. I just wouldn't put it in the "need" category.

I’ve been machining as a hobby for around 6 years I think. I haven’t ever needed any such tool. I guess I’d ask why you think you need it. What utility does it offer, and how often do you plan to use it?
I don’t find any fun in trying to micro adjust things that really aren’t meant to be more accurate than .001” anyways. Precision is only as good as the machines and the measurement capabilities of the shop. You can be as accurate as you probably ever need to be with basic turning tests and adjustments. No high dollar level required.jmo

If you're just beginning I think you'd get a lot more return for your money spending it on other things. I don't even have one of those little magnetic digital angle things and I've got by just fine without a precision level. Not saying I wouldn't buy one if I found one cheap you know, I'm not crazy!

I used a Starrett 98-12 at work and for what I did everybody thought it was overkill. But my units I set up with it never failed which I learned later had never happened. Usual failure rate was around 20% ( but the previous guys used their own carpenters levels). When I got put on it all the sudden I got access to the 98-12 and it was a game changer over my carpenter level. I loved that thing and one nicer/newer came up on EBay. It was one of my first machinist purchases. Definitely not an everyday tool but it’s easier to read than my master level(less finicky) and when I go back after leveling with it and check it with the master level it’s so close I’d just be chasing my tail trying to improve it. The 98-12 is my gotoo YMMV. Not much I do in the home shop needs even the 98-12 but it’s hard to think of getting rid of it. I’d get rid of the master before the 98-12.

Back