Making screw jacks - Lesson in taps and dies

For threads less than 1/2" or so, I really like my Geometric Die head. I've collected enough chasers to have a pretty good cover on the NC and NF threads half inch or below, but no need to go to metric threads yet, though the chasers are available.

It sets up really fast and bang, the thread is cut. With practice, I can set up and cut a single part faster with the die head than single point threading.

If you see a die head like this for a reasonable price, get it.

Since we are already talking taps and dies, anyone have a recommendation for tap wrenches to use for some medium sized taps? My T handle tap wrench won’t hold an 8mm tap securely, and my fixed handle wrench is a cheaply that came with my Irwin kit and loosens after 2 turns. Would love one that fits the sweet spot between value and performance.

I thought these were a pretty good deal. I like them very much. The one drawback is the ball detent is weak and when oiled can let the handle separate from the holder under certain conditions.

DanK

I thought these were a pretty good deal. I like them very much. The one drawback is the ball detent is weak and when oiled can let the handle separate from the holder under certain conditions.

DanK
Dan,

One question on these. I know they can ratchet forward and reverse. Is there another setting where it locks the handle if frequent chip clearing is necessary so you don't have to fumble for the switch every quarter turn?

Thanks!

Since we are already talking taps and dies, anyone have a recommendation for tap wrenches to use for some medium sized taps? My T handle tap wrench won’t hold an 8mm tap securely, and my fixed handle wrench is a cheaply that came with my Irwin kit and loosens after 2 turns. Would love one that fits the sweet spot between value and performance.
I have used a Starrett 93B to tap M8. It's near it's capacity, but it holds an M8 very securely. No slipping. A 93C might be a little better, as it has longer handles. I bought a 93A and 93B because I was aggravated with crappy tap wrenches. If you can find something that is as well made, (or the Starretts) you won't regret it. When a wrench fits the taps securely, there's far less chance of a mishap. Use to hate hand tapping. Now it's quick and easy.

Dan,

One question on these. I know they can ratchet forward and reverse. Is there another setting where it locks the handle if frequent chip clearing is necessary so you don't have to fumble for the switch every quarter turn?

Thanks!
They do not have a lock setting that I have found. If the need arises like you suggest, there is a handle to use that goes through a hole. But that can't be useful very often for dies, me thinks. The post fits standard sockets, but again how useful? Maybe acceptable for taps.

FYI, I have been using the smaller handle in the set to hold a 3/8" - 16 die threading 9 1/2" of hot rolled steel in one pass. With bacon grease lube, it moves down the rod rather freely and since the rod is vertical (in a drill press at 10 rpm) the chips are generally self clearing. Have done both left and right hand threads with this setup. Total thread length is 416" for the project, and there are about 6 places where the thread was nicked by a wayward chip. So this is not for tightly spec'd threads. The finished threaded rod is for hand screws in the woodshop.
DanK

Last edited:
I have used a Starrett 93B to tap M8. It's near it's capacity, but it holds an M8 very securely. No slipping. A 93C might be a little better, as it has longer handles. I bought a 93A and 93B because I was aggravated with crappy tap wrenches. If you can find something that is as well made, (or the Starretts) you won't regret it. When a wrench fits the taps securely, there's far less chance of a mishap. Use to hate hand tapping. Now it's quick and easy.
Was eyeballing the C. I have a T-handle that will handle everything below an 8mm. I may peruse eBay for a nice used example, as I may also eventually need a long handled one, and tooling up a new shop is crushing my wallet.

Has anyone ever gone with the McMaster Economy tap wrenches? I wonder if they bridge the gap from cheap pot metal craptastic tap wrenches, and heirloom Starrett stuff.

I like this style. Mine is a starrett from a garage sale.

Attachments

• B8AD8D9F-97A6-4E74-A8E5-EA5F1A386A2E.jpeg
    B8AD8D9F-97A6-4E74-A8E5-EA5F1A386A2E.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4
Back