[How-To] Making a cable hub

So far as the original steel bands are concerned, perhaps feeler gage stock may work, it can be had in long lengths; what width and thickness is the original material?

So far as the original steel bands are concerned, perhaps feeler gage stock may work, it can be had in long lengths; what width and thickness is the original material?
It's 3/4" x .01.
I see that Starrett sells it, in 1/2" widths only though.

Can we get pictures of the strip termination? Maybe a sketch of the motion system?

If you cut it down, make sure to grind/polish the edge smooth and rounded.

This is a fatigue part. You need smooth edges, smooth transitions, and high yield strength. The bend radius must be large enough to keep the strip below the endurance limit. The tape anchor profile and clamping is critical. Flexure designs offer some nice terminations that handle constant motion.

For the cable, you need to have your drum much much larger than your cable diameter. You need to arrange the motion system so that the active cable length is constant; it wont stretch! If your load is high relative to your cable strength then grooving will help load carrying. It will also help precision of motion. Having the wraps designed to just touch helps wrapping/unwrapping and packs more cable on, but it's not required if your fleet angle is shallow.

If you keep at least 3 wraps on the drum you wont need to worry about your anchor strength. At 5 wraps you can part the cable with the end held down with duct tape... it's a mechanical amplifier ;-)

As for machining the drum, see if you could get a live tool/toolpost grinder/etc
on your tool post and use a ball end mill...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ll shoot some pics in a bit but here’s the line drawing from the manual.
One of the things I can’t quite figure out is how to wind the strips onto the hubs, attach them to the table all while keeping tension so they don’t unwind.
168058e5e89887b432193d9cb8b39aaa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back