Machinist online learning? Is this a crazy idea?

The problem as I see it with all the youtube videos is that all they are is really just a demonstration of one guy's way of doing it. Which has some value. I don't care at all for a couple of them, even the more popular ones. But I won't give away my least favorites. Proper online tutoring has to be interactive. Once, on another forum a long time ago, there was a young guy who set up a live stream on a "how to" subject. He had a monitor set up where people could ask questions as he went and he could read them in real-time, so he could go back and show something again, or explain why he did something a certain way. He just picked a simple task and went through it step by step, while we all could watch and "talk" to him. I would choose that over a static video any day.

It would be more fun (and more involved) to get a couple of us together, one with a camera to stay where it needed to be, and one to do the work. Combine that with the live feedback from an audience and you might have something. The camera guy could also narrate if this were planned out correctly, along with some commentary by the "subject" actually doing the demonstration. They could carry on some limited (not to chatty and silly, obviously) conversation that might turn up points of interest as the operations were carried out.

Just my thoughts.

It a great idea but a lot of work and a lot of expertise as pointed out previously. Tubalcain is already pretty far down this road. He needs to fill in some basic gaps in his series and organize it a little. Seems he has a fair number of very specialized videos but doesn't really hit all the basics.I don't know if anyone has a connection to him.
Robert

There's a lot of great ideas here. I learned everything I know from books, web sites and youtube, and they all have their uses.

Point is, anything is better than nothing. I'd love to see ANY of these ideas executed by the people here. Videos and real-time instruction may be ideal, but they can be much harder to do. Don't let that stop you from contributing something.

:chunky:
Brittish guy that cooks is one of my favorite......[doubleboost]enjoy

I just checked out one of his Youtube videos. Looks like pretty good videos........just wish they were in English:chunky:

Ted

There is so many others that are real good to watch and learn from.........Brittish guy that cooks is one of my favorite......[doubleboost]
enjoy
Pretty sure he'd wouldn't like to be called British.

If you get a chance watch the formal English breakfast one it's a riot.....looks good I'd try it...
I have to admit I like his cooking videos just as well as his shop vids.
Very hard to understand.

After seeing how many "parting woes" threads turn up here I began to consider making a detailed How To Part video. Quickly gave that idea up because parting is not complicated.

A "How To" video would involve 2 steps, square the tool, mount part and part off.

Actually 3 steps, catch the part when it comes off is the third step, the faster you go makes it more difficult to catch if they parts are small.

Last edited:
Back