machining titanium?

What grade of titanium rod is easiest to machine or grind? I need to make some small diameter tools,(approx. 6mm dia.)
simple curved pullers. I don't need the strongest type. The tools won't be used under stress or heavy torque. (5' long).
They will probably need to be hand ground and shaped. What's the best grinding wheel to use and how do you get a smooth finish?

The link in my post number 12 doesn't help?

What grade of titanium rod is easiest to machine or grind? I need to make some small diameter tools,(approx. 6mm dia.)
simple curved pullers. I don't need the strongest type. The tools won't be used under stress or heavy torque. (5' long).
They will probably need to be hand ground and shaped. What's the best grinding wheel to use and how do you get a smooth finish?

Grades 1-4 are the softest, they are unalloyed, also known as CP (commercially pure). Gr 1 is the softest. The grades offer vary depending on material type like sheet stock, round bar, square, tubing, etc. CP grade 2 is most common for round bar.

Generally Ti is not a good choice for making tools out of, even for alloyed grades, unless you require the properties of Ti, hypoallergenic, corrosion resistance, etc. Ti does wear well so it's not a good choice for things like knife blades, screwdrivers, etc. It also sparks if struck.

Tool steel would be better for tools if you don't need the properties of Ti. But I'm not sure on your application.

Don't know much about what to specifically use for grinding but be very careful when doing so. Wear a resperator & keep the workpiece wet. Ti grinding dust is highly flammable. For those reasons I avoid grinding it.

I'm going to use Ti because of the light weight for the tools I need.
I'm looking for grinding wheel info. OnLineMetals only shows properties, general info.

.............I'm looking for grinding wheel info..............

Go to Norton Abrasive's website. They have just about anything you need to know about grinding just about anything out there.

Here's an old NASA paper on cutting/grinding titanium, it's old, 1965, but has some really good information.
Good bedtime reading. :)
enjoy:

Attachments

• Titanium_Cutting_Mill_Grind620508.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 20
Back