machining titanium?

I have used Grade 5 to make compensators for Steel Challenge pistols and one or two carry comps where weight is an issue. Haven't worked with it for a while though, but I have several pieces waiting for me to start work on. IIRC, it machines very nice with carbide, but it will smoke a drill bit in a heartbeat if you don't have sufficient lubricant/slow enough feed rate.

I too would like to know where I can get this stuff cheap. :)

I have a different question, What are you guys designing and making that require titanium? I use steel, stainless steel, and aluminum.

Nothing I make out of titanium "requires" it. But I make gadgets & toys. It's considered an exotic metal. Just like all the other gadgets, toys, & knives that are made with damascas, timascas, mokume, mokuti, ziconium, etc.

Where are you guys getting this titanium for such low a price?!

When I need something quick I buy from George at American Metal Exchange. His prices are good & better than most, also offers other exotic metals as well now. Titanium Joe is also another good supplier but I never buy from them.

Most of my Ti 6Al4V is from ebay, dirt cheap, but unfortunately the deals are no where near what they used to be when I was "stocking up". I know cause I'm always looking.

This box is full of deals & drops that I got on ebay years ago. This pic was taken maybe 2-3 years ago. It's completely full now & I can barely even pick it up now.

Img_4850.jpg

I used to buy these drops from a guy on ebay. Each lot was like $50, I think there was like 15 pieces in each lot, maybe more. 1" dia. I bought from him numerous of times for probably like a year until he stopped selling them.

Img_2222.jpg

Pretty jealous of that titanium collection!! Ironically, I was just looking up the SFM for titanium today myself. I found anywhere from 20 to 150SFM with the slower end being the recommended. High feed rate was good because low rate apparently caused work hardening. On a .625" bar, 20-150SFM equated to 122 to 916 RPM.

Here is the source I used for info: http://www.supraalloys.com/technical-speedfeed.php

Nothing I make out of titanium "requires" it. But I make gadgets & toys. It's considered an exotic metal. Just like all the other gadgets, toys, & knives that are made with damascas, timascas, mokume, mokuti, ziconium, etc.

When I need something quick I buy from George at American Metal Exchange. His prices are good & better than most, also offers other exotic metals as well now. Titanium Joe is also another good supplier but I never buy from them.

Most of my Ti 6Al4V is from ebay, dirt cheap, but unfortunately the deals are no where near what they used to be when I was "stocking up". I know cause I'm always looking.

This box is full of deals & drops that I got on ebay years ago. This pic was taken maybe 2-3 years ago. It's completely full now & I can barely even pick it up now.

Img_4850.jpg

I used to buy these drops from a guy on ebay. Each lot was like $50, I think there was like 15 pieces in each lot, maybe more. 1" dia. I bought from him numerous of times for probably like a year until he stopped selling them.

Img_2222.jpg

:disillusion:

I'm have a few more 3ft rods laying around somewhere & couple of zirconium. The zirconium is way more expensive than Ti grade 5. All from George at AMX. Price of Zirc may have come down a bit since I bought them but nothing like the price of the other exotic metals I mentioned.

Here's some other drops I got for dirt cheap. When it comes to larger diameters, drops are the only way I could buy them. As you know, rod stock usually only comes in 12ft lengths unless you buy from a vendor that caters to hobbyist. So for example, a 12ft rod of 2" dia grade 5 goes for $170 & a 12ft rod of 3" dia grade 5 goes for $330!

So I would say search ebay for the deals. But then again don't, so there's more for people like me. ;)

Img_2332.jpg

Dude, I think you need to offload some of those round pieces to me. 2" preferably. I'll pay shipping! :D

Dude, I think you need to offload some of those round pieces to me. 2" preferably. I'll pay shipping! :D

Haha, nice try but unfortunately the only way those would get sold is if/when I make something out of them. :)

What grade of titanium rod is easiest to machine or grind? I need to make some small diameter tools,(approx. 6mm dia.)
simple curved pullers. I don't need the strongest type. The tools won't be used under stress or heavy torque. (5' long).
They will probably need to be hand ground and shaped. What's the best grinding wheel to use and how do you get a smooth finish?

Back