machining titanium?

dontrinko

Registered
Registered
I have on order a 10mm titanium rod that I intend to make a dead center with. Any tips on machining titanium? I do have some carbide tipped bits and i can grind if necessary. Thanks; Don

A sharp hss toolbit will cut titanium just fine. Use a slow speed, ~60sfpm or slower. I'm sure carbide will also cut it, but i'd be careful about upping the rpms too much as titanium chips/dust can be a bit, um, flammable. Think a slightly less dramatic version of sodium or magnesium in high school chemistry. Sparks are bad. Make sure your work area is clean of oil, wood chips etc.

For my own interest, why make a center out of titanium?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Fair enough. Wouldn't be my first choice, as it won't hold up as long as hardened steel, but whatever works

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

What grade? I made a set of wedding band for my wife and I...I bought grade 5 the first time and couldn't cut it with HSS. I bought a stick of Grade 2 and it cut great with HSS

What grade? I made a set of wedding band for my wife and I...I bought grade 5 the first time and couldn't cut it with HSS. I bought a stick of Grade 2 and it cut great with HSS

I did the same thing when my wife and I got married! Mine was from a leftover stick of 6-4 Ti and I don't remember the exact details of the cutting, but I do remember earning those two finished bands...

I have a crap load of grade 5 titanium that I got cheap, but even though I wouldn't make a center out of titanium especially if it's CP/grade 2. Just a waste IMO.

For what it's worth, titanium would be a good center for vibration damping of any material with similar density and speed-of-sound. That means it could produce a superior finish in
aluminum or some glasses, or stone.

I have on order a 10mm titanium rod that I intend to make a dead center with. Any tips on machining titanium? I do have some carbide tipped bits and i can grind if necessary. Thanks; Don

Doesn't Titanium guall easily? Doesn't sound like a good choice for a center. At least you won't worry about rust
Randy

Randy

Back