Machining a rusty steel rod

One thing is for sure, by the time you chuck up the last section you will know how to make that material work and then some! Great score.

I don't know yet.... My lathe is still at Precision Matthews. I'm hoping it ships out this coming week.

Even after I get the lathe and get it up and running, I won't be able to give you an honestly answer for a while. I will be able to give you a beginner's perspective for whatever that is worth. LOL To tell you the truth I probably won't mess with it for a bit. I have some smaller 12L14 that I will start with. That way if I have problems or questions, I will be using a known metal not mystery metal.

Tim

It seemed like an odd measurement to me, but what do I know. Never enough I know that!
Back in the day, there was only HR steel. If you wanted a finished shaft, it had to be turned from oversize stock. That's why so many bearings are 1/16 under standard increments (1-7/16, 1-15/16 etc). As a result, when CR and TGP became available, there was demand for shafts to fit the available bearings.

Same reason standard rail gauge is 4' 8.5"

A year or two ago I did some sleuthing as to metal designation colors. As you guys have found out, there is no standard. If you can find out what mill or supplier it came from, then you have a chance at identifying it, otherwise, it is a crap shoot.
If you don't have anything else to do, this thread is an interesting read.... Needing More Than a Spark Test

Back