Machining a rusty steel rod

Looks like a nice score for sure. Just did a quick google search on the red painted end and it came us as possibly 12L14 Leadloy a free machining carbon steel. Designed for better machining and nice chip breaking as well as naturally lubricated for faster machining. If that is the case that was a steal and should be great material to work with. Of course, could be random red paint as well and not represent the steel type. Still a nice chunk for that price.

Looks like a nice score for sure. Just did a quick google search on the red painted end and it came us as possibly 12L14 Leadloy a free machining carbon steel. Designed for better machining and nice chip breaking as well as naturally lubricated for faster machining. If that is the case that was a steal and should be great material to work with. Of course, could be random red paint as well and not represent the steel type. Still a nice chunk for that price.
where'd you find that info? I would love to know how to identify pieces with paint on them.

edit:
I found one at: http://metal-stock.com/site/misc data/Metal Stock Colors Codes.html
but my 1144 is not matching that color chart. I don't think my 304 matched either.

ah, also found out that there is NO STANDARD as many different places will use whatever they want.

Last edited:
ah, also found out that there is NO STANDARD as many different places will use whatever they want.

Yeah, it's all a crap-shoot buying scrap like this. Only if you know where the scrap came from can you somewhat guess what the metal is. Anyway, which color do you use? The red or the yellow?

12L14 is what I found the first time. Then I read there was no standard and also found another vender using red for A36, I don't think I have heard anyone talking about that.

I was telling my wife the problem is it is Mystery Steel. Her response was "As long as it doesn't burst into flames when you try and cut you will be fine" Gotta love her outlook! LOL

I did not realize rod over 1” came in 1/16th increment, but a little searching of online sources show it is fairly common.

It seemed like an odd measurement to me, but what do I know. Never enough I know that!

12L14 is what I found the first time. Then I read there was no standard and also found another vender using red for A36, I don't think I have heard anyone talking about that.

I was telling my wife the problem is it is Mystery Steel. Her response was "As long as it doesn't burst into flames when you try and cut you will be fine" Gotta love her outlook! LOL
That sounds like a green light to make chips for sure. LOL

Back