Machining a rusty steel rod

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was at the metal collector the other day dropping off a bucket of scrap metal. I saw off to the side in a metal rack he had a steel bar maybe 10' long and close to 2" diameter. No idea what kind of steel it is but for a beginner or really anyone is it worth even asking what he wants for it? I mean if it's just junk it doesn't matter if it's free or $50 bucks it's still junk. I have a few pieces of 12L14 and a couple pieces of 6061 aluminum to play with. It was a little enticing to think about, but my thought is I better stick with clean metal that I know what it is to learn with.

Should I at least ask what he wants for it or just avoid it like the plague?

Tim

I would say ask. If you are looking for material and it is a good deal why not. You should get a pretty good sense of the type of steel after a couple cuts. Rust on the outside is not a problem. The scale on hot rolled is likely harder and messier. Just cut deep enough your first pass to get under it.

OK cool, The rust didn't look that deep either really. I'll find out what he wants for it.

Tim

... maybe 10' long and close to 2" diameter. No idea what kind of steel it is but for a beginner or really anyone is it worth even asking what he wants for it?

Tim, do you have a need for 2" steel? I only ask because if you're looking to tie up money and park it on the side for who knows how long then it might be a good deal. I'm going to bet it's a common steel like 1018 (which totally sucks to turn) or something but who knows. I have two feet of 2" OD steel sitting under my truck; it's been there for at least a decade or more because I've not needed stock that big for anything. Not a wise investment for me.

For guys learning to use the lathe, I suggest you work with smaller, more affordable quantities of materials of known composition in a size you are likely to actually use. Your needs will dictate what you buy but in the beginning you are going to waste material as you learn to use the lathe. Cheaper, easier to cut stuff is a better way to spend your money.

My 2 cents.

2" rod is going to come in at roughly .9 lbs/in, so a 10' rod is ballpark 100lbs. Steel is running about $2/lb for large purchases (I just picked up a 12' x 3" diameter piece of 1018 yesterday). Of course, nice cutting alloys are going to be quite a bit more. Steel scrap is running ballpark 25 cents/lb. So that chunk is worth about $25 scrap for the dealer. If it was 1018 it would be worth about $200 (new). Offering him $50 is not a bad start point.

Obviously these are "back of the napkin" numbers. Prices vary by region, etc.

I often use a little bit bigger stuff, and I also do a fair amount of welding, for which low carbon A36 or 1018 are preferable. I also have a bit of storage space. So my viewpoint contrasts with @mikey

Last edited:
I'd definitely ask - what have you got to lose? Even if it sits under your truck for a decade, when you need it, it will be there. And 1018 isn't that bad at turning (I've turned worse). This is an example of a finished product using a bar of 2" 1018 steel - the trick to successfully turning any material is to know its characteristics and how to deal with them:

DSCI2101.JPG

Back