Machinery's Handbook

MH is (was) available thru Google Books for d/l. Old edition, c.1915

As noted earlier the Machinery Handbook is not intended to be a "How To" book, but rather a reference book. It's geared toward the professional machinist in a modern day machine shop. As such "obsolete" information i.e. information on operations no longer performed or taper and thread sizes no longer used in a modern production shop are deleted and replaced with information more suited to today's production environment. My first new edition was purchased in the early 1980's as a requirement when starting a new job in an engineering department.

Over the years I have purchased several other new and used versions. All were purchased as need arose for information either related to the job or later in my own shop. I now have at least a dozen different editions. Most of the older ones were purchased to get information on now obsolete machine tapers, thread pitches, and collet information. I find them all necessities when working on repairing older machines. There are certainly better "how to" books on the market if that's what you're looking for. However over the last 30+ years I've found the Machinery Handbook to be the definitive reference book for use in the machine shop and engineering department.

Back