Machinery's Handbook

Machinery's Handbook should be in every machinist's, amatuer or journeyman, library. No book or video can replace hands-on experience but for something more on how's and why's of different machines I recently found 2 books I highly recommend. Both were written by Henry D. Burghardt, entitled Machine Tool Operations Part 1 and Machine Tool Operations Part 2. I've come to appreciate and really like these two books. MTOp1 was originally written by Burghardt and the later editions and MTOp2 was written by him and coauthors. MTOp1 is on lathes, forge, and bench work. MTOp2 covers shaper, planer, milling machine, grinding machine, hydraulics, metal band saws, metallurgy, and cutting fluids. I highly recommend them for beginner machinists. With all the old pics and excellent writing I think experienced machinists would appreciate the read, too.

Last edited:
I hope I'm not breaking any rules here. If you go to the piratebay (I could but won't put a URL here) and do a search in ebooks for machining, there are some extremely good books there. You have to get a torrent client (I like Tixati) and it wouldn't hurt to get virus protection (altho I've never had problems, I would pick the uploader that has a lot of uploads, and stay away, if you're worried from the anonymous) They will be formated in epub, or mobi or pdf or some other formats. I use Calibre, another free app to organize books and it also has, somewhat like firefox or android, a lot of add ons to do almost anything to do with reading, organizing, wirelessly moving books to and from your phone or other devices, etc. With Calibre, when you tap the 'download meta info' in downloads books covers, and descriptions of plots, or subjects of the books. Each book has a page in Calibre, and you can add tags to them, so that you can organize books according to subject, like machining or machine tools.
I think that society is in the midst of a lot of changes, and in a few years a physical book will be sort of like a record is now, still usable, but with phones and other small devices, the electronic books will 'take over'

Last edited:
I hope I'm not breaking any rules here. If you go to the piratebay (I could but won't put a URL here) and do a search in ebooks for machining, there are some extremely good books there. You have to get a torrent client (I like Tixati) and it wouldn't hurt to get virus protection (altho I've never had problems, I would pick the uploader that has a lot of uploads, and stay away, if you're worried from the anonymous) They will be formated in epub, or mobi or pdf or some other formats. I use Calibre, another free app to organize books and it also has, somewhat like firefox or android, a lot of add ons to do almost anything to do with reading, organizing, wirelessly moving books to and from your phone or other devices, etc. With Calibre, when you tap the 'download meta info' in downloads books covers, and descriptions of plots, or subjects of the books. Each book has a page in Calibre, and you can add tags to them, so that you can organize books according to subject, like machining or machine tools.
I think that society is in the midst of a lot of changes, and in a few years a physical book will be sort of like a record is now, still usable, but with phones and other small devices, the electronic books will 'take over'

Give me the look and feel of a book and a visibly large drafting media. Nothing updates faster than a scanning eye. It's a quality of life thing.

I'm a big fan of eBooks whereas my Mom, (retired librarian) likes the feel of a book.

It should be noted that anything published before 1923 is in the public domain. Thus you are free to download, copy, and distribute the earliest editions of the Handbook without infringing copyright.

I have by me two copies of Machinery Handbook, The first which I purchased many years ago is a third edition (Dated 1914) This over the years I have found incredibly useful for home shop reference, & also on occasion for information when I was employed, In the section on feeds & speeds the info is in my estimation relevant to the speeds one uses at home where stellite tools are the order of the day , when using tipped tools, or throwaway tips , on most rare occasions then I refer to the tool suppliers data sheets, But for home mechanics work How Often is That ?
The other edition I have is a sixth edition dated 1924 This book I picked up in a West of Scotland bookshop a couple of years ago, The original source of the book somewhat intrigues me as the supplier was The Tool Shop Hardware Co.
tools hardware & sporting goods.
463 Michigan Ave.
Detroit Michigan.

If only the second copy of this fine book could tell me its story, it might tell me of a craftsman who perhaps emigrated to Detroit from over here Along came the great depression , and maybe' he returned home, Who knows its story, might be happy, might be sad , One thing for sure I saved it from going in the garbage as the bookseller had it in the junk pile , That tells me today of the sad level to which the engineering crafts have sunk.

Anybody know of a MH with full 8x10" pages? Its getting harder and harder to leaf thru 1000 pages with miniaturized fonts.

Back